purchase online or retailer?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by confused kitty, Aug 11, 2007.

1. confused kitty

confused kitty New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    I'm a very confused kitty.
    If I purchase the TiVo box from a retailer & get 100% rebate and just need to purchase service.
    If I purchase the box from the TiVo website they'll charge for the box and service. The price for service is the same if I purchase the box from a retailer or from the TiVo website so why would anyone purchase the box from TiVo?
    Am I missing something?

2. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    I don't know of any 100% rebate on the boxes TiVo sells on their site. There are 100% rebates on the old single-tuner S2, but TiVo.com doesn't sell those anymore. They have the S2DT, TiVo HD, and S3. The S2DT has a retail rebate, but it just drops it down to about what TiVo.com charges.

3. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    If price is the same there is free shipping from TiVo so no trip to the store.

4. confused kitty

Aug 11, 2007
    You're not getting it.
    TiVo charges for the box.

If you go to the store to get the box (exact same box as you'd get if you bought it from TiVo) but the store also gives you a rebate so that you get 100% of your $ back.

SOOO why buy from TiVo?

5. Hexerott

Hexerott New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    What store is offering a 100% rebate form? For what box?

If I could get one from a retailer, in essence, for free, there is no decision as to what I would do.

6. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    It is possible. A while ago Radio Shack had the origional S2 with the $150 rebate from TiVo and an additional $50 rebate themselves that made the box basically free.

7. confused kitty

Aug 11, 2007
    I live in So. Cal and every store I go to and every box they sell has the same deal.
    Guess it's another reason why So Cal is so great. :)

8. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    sometimes there are really good deals on TiVo's. sometimes they are at Tivo.com and sometimes at the retailers. Sometimes at both. Get the bets deal you can at the time you are ready to buy by shopping around.

9. ZombiE

ZombiE TIVO Bender

Dec 16, 2005
    Fort Walton...

No answer on this?

Z

10. moxie1617

moxie1617 Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Chicago...
    Costco online has an 80hr ST S2 for $170 with a $170 rebate. Dual tuner S2 Tivos have a $150 rebate.

11. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You are missing nothing. You get the same deal at the end in either case. You just don't have to lay as much down at first, or fuss with rebates with the TiVo.com bundle offer, or get the machine right away and a lower monthly cost if you purchase retail, pay full price, and fuss with rebates.