Public Morals (some spoilers possible)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by ADG, Aug 28, 2015.

1. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA

Advertisements

Is it me or was this just bad tv? All over the place with every possible cop show and NYC cliche imaginable. It looked like a conglomeration of bad scenes from a dozen old cop shows - including everyone in "plain clothes" being on the take.

And while the actual role of silver shield plain clothes officers has always been to "fit in" and look & act like regular citizens, apparently everyone knew who these guys were and they had no particular mandate other than to do whatever they wanted.

Between Steven Spielberg and the well put together cast I had high hopes for this - but the first episode left me very disappointed.

2. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I kinda liked it, and I generally don't like cop shows. I do like Edward Burns and that's why I gave this a try. Plus it's a period piece. It's interesting that they say the setting is early 60s but open with a Doors song from late 60s, so I'm a bit confused.

3. Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004
    FYI,

Episodes 2,3,4 appear to be available via magical means.

4. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    No magical means really. They are available On Demand legitimately from a number of sources including DirecTV and TNT.com

5. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA

Advertisements

Timothy Hutton signed a pretty short contract for the show. ;)

6. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Yeah! I was amused that Nate Ford is back on TNT even if he wasn't in the credits, but he didn't last long. I couldn't buy him as The Godfatha,

It looks like they have a good cast coming with McDonough and Brian Dennehy.

....I was wondering where I saw Michael Rapaport before. It just came to me. Justified.

I thought it was pretty good. I'll stcik with it for a while.

7. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    I downloaded the first four from DirecTV.

8. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Take a look at IMDB; he's been working steady since "China Beach" in 1990. He's like the James Brown of character acting!

9. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Based on the promos, I thought I was going to HATE this...

Quite the opposite, I really liked it - even Ed Burns terrible acting won me over.
    I thought it was good ensemble drama and I love the retro part of it - although I can't for the life of me figure out what year it is supposed to be. Maybe it was just the nuns and nostalgia for a time before technology and cell phones...

The new plain clothes cop? - wow did they have him heavily made up or what? It was almost a female beauty make up.

I also thought they did an amazing job keeping it period and shooting on location. I might be crazy but it looks like the streets of NY to me.

I enjoyed the cast and getting to know the characters.

Well done.

10. ej42137

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    It's easy making it look like New York when, like "Public Morals", you actually film there; it's not a challenge. Other shows like "NCIS" set higher goals, trying to look like Washington, D.C. but filming in Los Angeles. If a show could succeed at that, why that would be remarkable.

11. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    That wasn't my point.
    To film a period show in NYC must take an incredible amount of doing...
    From costumed extra's to clearing streets of parked cars to never being able to shoot people walking in the street 2 blocks away.
    So my point was it didn't look like they were faking it on a soundstage.

I live and work in Manhattan and run into TV shows filming all the time - to film a scene outdoors in midtown for them must be a logistical nightmare.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  12. ej42137

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Obviously I wasn't as clear as I thought I was in jocularly agreeing with you that the look of this show is quite authentic compared most other shows we watch.

13. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I liked it well enough to keep watching. Looking forward to Dennehy. One of my all-time favorites.. I also like Rappaport.

14. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm assuming this is a season thread? I liked the second episode better. We got some explanation as to why the old guy was killed and the relationships between some of the main characters. The newbie definitely has some skeletons that will come out of the closet at some point. He's much too at ease with the cops lifestyle.

Still not sure what part of the 60s this is supposed to be.

15. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Anyone else still watching?
    This is one of my "lunchtime" shows. It isn't great but I'm enjoying the story line that has developed.

Seemed to get off to a slow start, but has kept my attention.

Ratings are dismal but I'm sticking with it.

16. Brute

Brute Member

May 14, 2004
    Richmond, VA
    I just caught up over the last two weeks or so. I like it, though I'm having trouble buying both Kane & Rusty's game plan. They both seem completely off their rockers.

17. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Mmmm....Kerry Bishe

18. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I enjoyed season 1. Impressive that Edward Burns wrote and directed every episode.

19. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I enjoyed it too. I wonder if it did well enough to get a renewal though.

20. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    The fact that TNT hasn't officially renewed it yet is a bit concerning.