PTC Calls on Fox to Stop Targeting Teens with Family Guy Raunch

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Warren, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001

Advertisements

http://www.parentstv.org/PTC/publications/release/2006/0123.asp

Wish people would raise their own kids. (not that I have kids)

2. Hansky

Hansky Active Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Many do, and in doing so, teach the importance of getting involved in civic and community activities, giving back to others, and trying to make society a better place the way they see fit (which may or may not always be right or popular, and may or may not sometimes go to far).

They may even participate in the political process, and in doing so consider issues that reach beyond the walls of their house.

In short, their lives aren't governed by what does or does not come through the box, and they actually issues larger than having their cartoon criticized.

I say this even though I think Bozell has been a Bozo in the past.

3. Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001
    If I reply this will get locked and I might get banned

4. slydog75

slydog75 Not all that sly

Jul 8, 2004
    Warminster, PA
    Actually in this one instance I can kind of see their point. They aren't calling for the show to be canceled (yet), they're just saying that Fox shouldn't be advertising to teens/children. I LOVE Family Guy, but clearly it's meant as adult entertainment. Personally I wish CN could have kept it on Adult Swim with the new episodes. Fox doesn't deserve it.

5. jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida

Advertisements

and for an opposing viewpoint:

6. slydog75

slydog75 Not all that sly

Jul 8, 2004
    Warminster, PA
    hehe.. good one.. Now I'm really tempted to call that number.

7. Hansky

Hansky Active Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Google will tell you what you will get.

8. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    I wouldn't have figured teenagers would be able to make it through the dense, impenetrable layer of '70s and '80s references that permeates each episode of "Family Guy." It's always seemed like it's aimed squarely at people around my age. (I'm sure it doesn't hurt that Seth MacFarlane is less than a year older than me.)

9. Mr. Happypants

Mr. Happypants Bal'more Hon

Jan 29, 2006
    Oh man, is "Family Guy" going to be pre-empted by the State of the Union address tonight? Man, talk about trading one useless source of tripe for another. ;)

10. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Huh?.....that's Tuesday.

11. Crrink

Crrink Active Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It's unfortunate that you feel you cannot express your views and opinions in a clear, logical, inoffensive manner.
    I hope it's not a reflection on the validity of what might be your response.

12. Tangent

Tangent Aluminum Falcon?!

Feb 25, 2005
    San Jacinto, CA
    I'll keep it simple.

To all you people who feel you know best what should and should not be available to me and my family: Live your own life and stay the hell out of mine. If I find something inappropriate I will not allowed it in my house. When you try to take something away from me "for my own good" you will get no sympathy from me when you scream about somebody else doing the same to you.

13. Hansky

Hansky Active Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Of course, in this context, that argument depends on someone 1) actually thinking they have a property interest or "right" to a program that comes on TV, 2) beliving the cancellation of a TV program means that interest or right was somehow "taken away from them" and 3) believing that mysterious right somehow trumps the actual right of others to voice their opinion about a show or generally what happens in society. The sympathy should be reserved for people who run everything through the paradigm of the TV (or an internet message board).

Your first line is correct.

14. TeeSee

TeeSee Tiiin ROOF. Rusted!

Jan 16, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    <yawn> The broken record drones on and on... :rolleyes:

15. Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001
    :up: :up: :up:

16. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Active Member

Dec 26, 2000
    You guys are getting off track here. In this case, for a change, PTC isn't calling for the cancelling of a show. They are asking for more responsible marketing, and to a degree they have a point here. The V-chip can block shows and channels but they can't block individual commercials.

17. Hansky

Hansky Active Member

Nov 17, 2005

Does this intelligent response come complete with tongue sticking out? Were you holding your breath when you typed it?

Perhaps it is another example of the person I identified. You really told me.

18. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    It seems like you are expecting parents to monitor their kids and actually take part in their kids' lives, including tv watching/movie going etc. This is not the norm in today's society. It's obvious that the groups against this kind of advertising/tv show do not subscribe to your notion. Otherwise, parental policing would take care of every problem with the viewing of such "horrible" material. Groups like these are pretty much saying that parents can't control their kids so they have to get shows canceled etc because the poor teens are so impressionable and dont have minds of their own.

Also they are saying parents haven't instilled enough good values in their kids to determine what is bad/good etc. I subscribe that a properly raised child will have no problem discerning things both you and I can just laugh at without being mortally wounded or affected for life. And any parent worried about what they kids are doing/watching should hopefully not have a PC or TV in their kids unmonitored room.

It's all about the parents..always is.

19. jpm37

jpm37 Rembrandt Q Einstein

Feb 3, 2004
    Vegas
    Does anybody but me find this statement somewhat disturbing? I personally love both Family Guy and The Simpsons, and FG is obviously a bit more raunchy than The Simpsons... but The Simpsons is far from a "kids" show. Are there that many parents of 2-11 year olds really letting their children watch the simpsons... enough to make it #1 in that demo? Fox should not be criticized for running FG commercials during the the simpsons just because a huge number of parents believe The Simpsons is proper viewing for their 10 year old.

20. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    :up: But it's all about blaming other than the true causes of the 'problem.'