Psych 7/13/2007 (S02E01) "American Duos"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, Jul 13, 2007.

1. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

Excellent season premiere. Laugh out loud moments throughout. Classic Shawn & Gus behavior. Superb performance by the judges, especially Nigel St. Nigel. And a wholly well-earned dig at American Idol.

2. FilmCritic3000

FilmCritic3000 Active Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    :up:

I'm so glad this show's back. What a wonderful episode.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And Jules shows hidden...

Well, I guess you can't say "depths." Hidden shallows? :D

4. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    For some reason I didn't enjoy it at all- the writing felt disjointed and IMO they wasted Tim Curry who is extraordinarily capable of much, much more.

5. MusicMama

MusicMama Member

Mar 6, 2005

Advertisements

Best. Episode. Yet. Too many one-liners to list. Just hope they can keep this up.

6. jehma

jehma Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
    I didn't realize it was Tim Curry for the first 10 minutes. I was shocked!

I thought the episode was just OK. Not one of my favorites.

7. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    This was great. I loved Gina Gershon as E. Saffron - she was definitely channeling Paula! And the cowboy duo? Scary/hysterical! The Latino judge was last seen on The Class :)().

The singing in Round 1 was atrocious, but the boys made up for it Round 2 with the wigs and costumes.

The only bad thing I can ever say about Psych is that the "crimes" sometimes are not so well thought out... First, there's one contestant who's allowed to audition over and over again from city to city as a solo act on a show called "American Duos? And since he apparently used the same name (per Gus' quick and simple internet research), why is it no one could ever put 1 + 1 together and figure out there's one commonality between all the murder attempts and it's this one contestant?

By the way, I noticed that Kirsten Nelson (Interim Chief Karen Vick) is now in the credits. Maybe she won't be Interim much longer?

8. MitchO

MitchO Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
    I'd enjoy Tim Curry if he stood there and read the instructions of a dishwasher. I was hoping for a buddy-like ending with Tim and Corbin Bernsen, as they seemed to really enjoy their repartee (much like Gus and Sean).

Not *the* best Psych episode, but more than enough laugh out loud moments to make it worth a season premiere.

9. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    UniversalHD doens't air this in HD simulcast with USA why again? Annoying that I have to switch to my Series 2 to see it. I barely remember it's on.

10. FuzzyDolly

FuzzyDolly Active Member

Dec 29, 2002
    Williamsvill...
    I love this show! Who knew "Charlie" could be so funny? ;)

11. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I laughed out loud when Paula... I mean Emilina Saffron said... "Oh Mr. Bean thank God it's you" to Dective Lassiter. I've been waiting 2 seasons for that.

12. jehma

jehma Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
    So did we.

13. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I loved their ploy to get Jules to fish the jewel out of the toilet :D

14. FilmCritic3000

FilmCritic3000 Active Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    Maggie Lawson can give me private dance lessons ANYTIME.

15. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I thought it was hilarious, especially the reaction after the guys did their first act. Nigel St. Nigel said something like, "We can't even begin to comprehend how brilliant that was," and that really cracked me up. I couldn't help but think of Piers Morgan on "America's Got Talent" and some of his odd praise that seems to come from nowhere. Not to mention I could also picture him doing that "Zappato votes yes" thing to David Hasselhoff.

16. Bill Reeves

Bill Reeves Lurker

Jul 17, 2002
    San Carlos, CA
    I agree -- in the lesser episodes of Psych, the plot is just a loose framework to hang jokes off of, and generate funny scenes with Shawn and Gus. In the better episodes, the plot holds its own, and there are still plenty of jokes and funny scenes with Shawn and Gus.

This one was a lesser episode for me, but it was still damn funny. Tim Curry was fun, and Gina Gershon stole the show.

17. RobertE

RobertE Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Cleveland, OH
    I almost fell off the couch laughing at that line. :up: :D

18. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Then she called him Tony Randal, which I can also see.

How funny was it that Paul ... er ... Emmeline said that she occasionally hooks up with Simo ... er ... Nigel. Who hasn't thought that this might happen in real life on Idol?

There was a line near the end where "Zapato" said that he gets mistaken for the guy in the El Pollo Loco commercials and there was a knowing nod between Shawn and Gus. That made me think that maybe that actor really has been in El Pollo Loco commercials. Can anyone confirm this?

19. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I've never heard of this Crazy Chicken commercial, so you got me!

20. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Actually, he was last seen in the last couple of Ugly Betty episodes. He's been busy.

Great show. Gina Gershon was hysterical (as she is on Ugly Betty). A lot of LOL moments. I loved their performance at the end. I don't see why they didn't win! ;)