PSP Users - How do you deal with Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by jayportland, Apr 19, 2006.

1. jayportland

jayportland New Member

Apr 17, 2006

Advertisements

Hey guys,
    I've been reading these threads for a few days now trying to see about using my Tivo to Podcast to my PSP.

So far there were a few ideas and most of them sounded like a lot of effort to get your TV shows back-up on the PSP. The whole thing with MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 transcoding and PSP Video 9, and audio sync issues. So far, from what I've read, it seems to me that I've seen one one elegant solution. It seems that TVHarmony's AutoPilot is the way most users are favoring.

What's your process? What do you use?

2. HOPTOAD

HOPTOAD New Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I have had zero problems with TVharmony might want to set recordings to good instead of best. Once you have set it up to convert to what type of file you would like all you have to do is select what shows you want each day. Transfer them to tivo desktop. Then I set TVHarmony up to convert videos at 300am so when i get up all videos have been converted.

Hope this helps,
    HOPTOAD

3. paulstefano

paulstefano New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    I use TVHarmony, but all manually. I can't understand the autopilot features. All the "rules" and other terms confuse the heck out of me.

paul

4. JPA2825

JPA2825 Member

May 15, 2000
    Ft. Thomas,...
    I started w/ TV Harmony and had some initial success. I then encountered some difficulties & long transfer times. I tried VEMoDe (http://vemode.corecodec.org/) and have had pretty good luck with this. It doesn't have a "batch" option, but has worked pretty effectively getting TiVo shows onto my LifeDrive (TCPMP).

I'll probably give TV Harmony another chance as I soon will be wanting to automate the process of TiVoing PTI daily and then having it on my LifeDrive to listen to in the car during the next day's commute. (Can't figure out a way to just get the audio of PTI onto my iPod -- perfect opportunity for ESPN to do a Podcast after it airs real time.)

5. Jotas

Jotas Got TV?

Mar 19, 2005
    flaVAtown

Advertisements

Too bad the D* Tivos don't allow you to stream. I'm limited to only streaming my MP3 collection from my PC.

6. May 8, 2006 #6 of 18
    jayportland

jayportland New Member

Apr 17, 2006

You see, I was kind of currious about this. I tried my hand at it last night for the first time and noticed that the Audio Sync is off. I'm using PSP Video 9 software. After reading the PSP Video 9 forums it sounds like I need an audio codec called "async 1" which I think I have. I'll try to get this to work right tonight and I'll post back.

So I was thinking that I could setup PSP Video 9 to automatically see My TiVo Recordings folder and transcode while I'm asleep. I'll have to test this tomorrow.

I'm hoping the new TiVo Desktop software is released soon. Don't they have a PSP and IPod solution built into the software?

Jay

7. jayportland

jayportland New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    So after my initial leraning curve with the AutoPilot software, I have found that it is rather simple to use and it does a good job with the the MP4 file conversion. After running it a few times setup to automatically download files from my TiVo and transcode them for my PSP, I have a couple of clarifications I want to make incase someone wants to know.

First off, it does a great job with the Audio/Video sync. Other programs I've used have had a gradually worstening A/V sync issue as you watch the program. Something to do with Frames per second being rounded to two decimal places instead of three. Well the AutoPilot software handled that beautifully.

Secondly, it does NOT create a thumbnail file. Not necessary, but convenient. PSP users know what I mean.

Third, the resultant MP4 file can be automatically downloaded directly to the PSP folder for videos using rules that make that happen.

Fourth, occasionally it creates a MP4 file that on my PSP is unable to play. I can see the file in my PSP screen but where the name of the file normally is it reads as incompatible Data.

Anyone else want to chime in?

8. KJW

KJW Member

Sep 27, 2003
    what ever happened to the Tivo software that would automatically convert files to work on the PSP and iPod? Wasn't that announced months ago?

9. jayportland

jayportland New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    I remember it was rumored to be setup as an option through the upcoming TiVo Desktop 2.3.

I remember I posted about a month ago asking the 2.3 beta testers what they thought, but someone posted a reply to that thread saying that the beta testing agreement barred them from talking about it with other people. So no word yet on how this is working, or if it does.

I'll tell you one thing, the AutoPilot software was upgraded earlier this week and I havn't had any transcoding issues at all getting my TiVo programs onto my PSP. The only thing I did run into was that thumb files were not being automatically created. And that the MP4 file didn't have the name of the show and episode, so you kind of have to preview the show to see what you get.

Even with those two inconveniences, the video file AutoPilot transcodes is pretty good, I have to admit. There is not audio sync problem that I can detect anyway, and the files are viewable. I don't use the COMSKIP (commercial skip) feature because it takes more time to transcode, but I don't mind. I just manually skip the adds.

Overall, I'm really satisfied with this solution for PSP. If TiVo's updated TiVo Desktop features could work this out I might be inclined to use it instead. But for now, the AutoPilot is "Semi" PSPcasting for me.

I have the AutoPilot download at midnight, then it transcodes, and then it dumps it on my PSP, assuming I have it docked at night. But even if it isn't docked, I can manually move the MP4 file in the morning so I watch last nights episode of Lost on my commute into work on the train in the mornings, and last nights episode of Alias for the ride home.

This works great for me. TV my way. Isn't that TiVo's slogan?

10. hawk4hire

hawk4hire Future Attny -

Jan 20, 2004
    SC
    Which Autopilot software are you talking about - the TVHarmony? Thanx

11. jayportland

jayportland New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Yes, TVHarmony. The name of the actual executable file is AutoPilot. I think TVHarmony might be the company name? I'm not sure about that actually, but check out the following site:
    www.tvharmony.com

Kind of like Microsoft Word.

12. hawk4hire

hawk4hire Future Attny -

Jan 20, 2004
    SC
    Thanx - will check them out....

13. cmcfalls

cmcfalls New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    When I use tvharmony to convert tivo files to psp files I end up with files that are not recognized by my transfer program. If I do end up with one that is recognized, my psp gives me a corrupted file message.

Also, I tried psp video 9. It freezes up in the middle of the conversion, but appears to still be running in task manager. So, I left it on over night to finish the conversion...14 hours later it was still running, so I canceled it.

Does anyone else have these problems? I thought I had a solution to the tivo video 9 problem with tv harmony, but for some reason the files arent being recognized.

Now, if I convert a tivo file to mpeg (instead of psp) my transfer software will recognize it, but then it goes through another conversion to get it to mpeg-4 format for the psp. So, I am having to convert twice and it takes much longer than it should. Any help?

14. randels

randels New Member

May 31, 2006
    this maybe out of line here and if so please let me know, but i have a HR10-250 and installed a replacement drive that has tivowebplus on it. will TVharmony work with tivoweb plus or only tivo desk top?

If not, will tivo desk top work with my unit?

15. TivoNouille

TivoNouille New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    VEMoDe does support a "batch" option using the "Add to Queue" button in the Advanced options. It can quickly convert your TiVo files to PSP or PDAs.

16. philter25

philter25 New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    I hate to bump an old thread, but im having audio/video sync issues using psp video 9. I see that TVharmony looks like a really old program.

What are PSP users using now?

17. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You should try running the files through VideoReDo's Quick Stream Fix first. It will fix the time stamps in the original video so that it's less likely PSP Video 9 will introduce sync issues in the output file.

Dan

18. Revolutionary

Revolutionary Too sleepy for TV...

Dec 1, 2004
    Virginia
    PSPV9 sucks, plain and simple. Try SuperC if you require a GUI-based converter (as opposed to a command line utility like ffmpeg). I also like WinFF, which uses ffmpeg and comes with preset configurations for PSP and other popular players. I've also encountered fewer errors and failed conversions with WinFF when converting to H.264.