PSP or Apple Video

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by c monkey, Jan 23, 2006.

1. c monkey

c monkey New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Chiacgo, IL

Advertisements

I am in the market for one of these gadgets but I want to get the most use out of it, so I could use some advice.

I have my tivos connected to a home network and would like to take advantage of these gadgets being able to play videos. I know I can use them for music, photos, and videos but the PSP can also play video games.

PSP also has some wireless capabilities; What is that about? Can I connect it to my home network and browse the internet with it or something?

I would really like some help with this decision. Thanks.

2. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    The view screen of the PSP is supposedly excellent, while the Apple Video iPod is merely "good". The iPod has an internal HD, while the PSP must use digital memory cards which are far more limited in storage capacities. The iPod would allow you to purchase videos directly from iTunes and load them onto the iPod with a minimal amount of effort(as well as loading converted TiVoToGo files). The PSP, on the other hand, has built-in wifi, so if you already happen to have a wireless router in your house, you can use its built-in web browser. It's really a matter of trade-offs and personal preferences. If you are more into music, the iPod may be a better choice; if you're more into gaming then the PSP might be right for you. I'd definitely try both out before making any decisions.

3. Stu_Bee

Stu_Bee New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Silicon...
    Just to muddy it more, don't forget PDA's. Both PPC's and Palm's can play Videos from inserted Memory cards. They support AVI/Divx and other standard video protocols. The screen sizes vary, but can be bigger than the Ipods.
    Depending on your usage patterns, the PDA might be more likely to be on your person when needed for Music or Video playback. Although you could probably only carry 4 1hr episdoes with you at once (unless you carry multiple SD cards)

4. SullyND

SullyND W: 31-17 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
  5. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA

Advertisements

Having owned both, I'd said go with a PDA. ;) Actually Gonzo summed it up pretty well, there's plenty of pros and cons - it really depends on how else you want to use the device. I tend to favor multi-function devices (less stuff to carry around, charge, find memory cards for, etc).

The Toshiba Gigabeat S which should be out in a month or so appeals to me more than the video-capable iPods. It supports many more formats and has better battery life. I'd still say get a Treo 650 or a Dell Axim with VGA screen though. For a pure multimedia playing device, the Archos AV500 is my favorite though it's hard to justify it's price over the Creative Zen Vision which is very good (though the screen isn't as bright and has a more limited viewing angle). iPod wins if you have a lot of purchased iTunes or see yourself buying shows from them... otherwise, I think there are better choices.

Oh yeah, if you buy a black iPod, your sync cable and ear buds will still be white. (My Shures are black, so all is not lost. ;) )