Proven Innocent (possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by ADG, Feb 17, 2019.

1. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    What an absolutely awful show. I hate shows that assume the audience are idiots.
    • The "investigator" just shows up at a firehouse and pretends to belong there, and everyone accepts him.
    • The lead actress "unearths" obvious facts that an L1 or a rookie cop would have originally found.
    • The judge at an evidence hearing declares the defendant innocent and frees her on the spot.
    Just one ridiculous scene after another - too many for me to even recount. As heavily as Fox promoted this show, I had high hopes. Not even close.

2. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Watched almost 15 minutes before I bailed ;)

3. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I agree, it was a terrible show.

But; the investigator had the cover story of applying to become a fireman, he even performed the drag test on camera. And the premise of the show is that the system is corrupt (it being set in Chicago after all), not necessarily incompetent; the suggestion is that information was intentionally withheld, not that it was overlooked.

As for your last point, it is well taken. As I have agreed, it was a terrible show.

mattack likes this.
  4. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I watched this last night and the dialog stated that Arson Mom was going to have a PCR or Post-Conviction Relief hearing, which is the proper hearing for a judge to consider if a prisoner's sentence can be corrected to or vacated.
    So yes, a judge can free the prisoner on the spot by vacating their conviction if the evidence presented supports that decision.

That said, I agree with you that the pilot wasn't very good and the only reasons to watch this are Rachelle Lefevre and Kelsey Grammer.

The fact that this is starting late in the season and on Friday nights is telling me that Fox doesn't have a lot of faith in it.

mattack likes this.
  5. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    WOW! You made it 10 minutes longer than I did! :p

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wow, ok, you guys really hated it. I thought it was *ok*, though I liked the show a LOT LOT LOT more 2.5 years ago, when it was called "Conviction". (With Haley Atwell). The only other regular legal show I can think of that I watch is Bull.

I will continue to watch, at least a couple more..

7. Grasshopper AZ

Grasshopper AZ Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Or in 2006 as In Justice

mattack likes this.
  8. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Hah, ok, that's funny. I didn't realize it had been done so many times... It seems to be a relatively recent thing in the news.

9. Mar 4, 2019 #9 of 14
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I watched the first couple of episodes until I asked myself why I was watching this drek. It's just another typical network lawyer show. I really have to wonder if anyone in Hollywood has ever set foot in an actual courtroom and watched a real trial. It's downright boring for the most part and you will never see any of the theatrics portrayed on TV. The only reason I started watching it was because it starred Kelsey Grammer, but even he can't stop this train wreck from derailing. I thought he was pretty convincing as the Mayor of Chicago on the Boss. He can be a pretty nasty bad guy when he wants to be.

10. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I heartily agree with everything you wrote here; but to be fair, who would want to watch a boring show? I can tell you that the last time I showed up for jury duty I was bored and wouldn't watch it as a TV show.

There's already enough dreck (not excluding this show) that's unintentionally boring.

11. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    When the star lady began chasing the guy in the 2nd episode, jumping over fences and other obstacles in her pursuit, I thought, wait, is she a cop? I thought she was a lawyer. Above and beyond. And then I couldn't quite place the guy who works in her office, maybe he's a PI, so I IMDB'd some and, oh yeah, he was a regular in Mad Men.

12. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    You mean "over the top".
    (Which was my reaction.)

13. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I 99% agree, though I do remember hearing objection and the like.

14. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    Just watched this one. She was trying to serve him. And she has to put the paper in his hand, so I could see her chasing him.

Not sure she would be the one to do it in the first place, but...

-smak-