protection plan cost $7.99 v $5.99?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by eddieras99, Aug 16, 2007.

1. eddieras99

eddieras99 New Member

Sep 2, 2002
    deerfield, il
    i own my own equip, including HD receiver and have been paying $7.99/ mo for the protection plan. just found out that the plan is $5.99. csr said that anyone after 3/1/06 when they went with the lease bit pays only 5.99 and that because mine is owned i pay more. they did agree to lower my fee, but would not adjust nor give credit for the past 2 years i paid 7.99.

just wondering what everyone else pays and also if they own or lease.

2. scooby_doo_53

scooby_doo_53 New Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Lakewood, CO
    I own my equipment and have paid $7.99 for quite awhile now. I used to pay $5.99, then they sent me a letter saying that since I had "HD equipment", I would now have to pay $7.99. I can't remember when it was, but 2 years ago seems about right.

3. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    I called a couple months back and got reimbursed for all the past months I was charged $7.99.

4. eddieras99

eddieras99 New Member

Sep 2, 2002
    deerfield, il
    they wouldn't budge on a credit for me - are you leased or own your own?

5. MisterEd

MisterEd Very Large Member

Jun 6, 2001
    TV Land
    According to "DORIS (DTV's SMS) HELP" you have to have at least 1 leased piece of equipment to get the $5.99 rate, if you own all your equipment it's $7.99.

Edit: and if you meet the requirement of at least 1 leased box they are supposed to refuse the reduction unless you put up an argument and then give in.

6. longhorn1

longhorn1 New Member

May 6, 2006
    I own all my equip, HD and tivo and have always paid 5.99

7. Budget_HT

Budget_HT Heavy User (of TiVo)

Jan 2, 2001
    Renton, WA
    I asked last week and was told that because I own my equipment, I would still be charged $7.99. $5.99 was stated as only for leases.

That is not consistent with the pre-lease days when folks were getting their $7.99 reduced to $5.99. When I called at that time, I was told I would have to commit to another year of service to get the lower rate.

I get tired of hearing these discrepancies and being lied to, whether intentional or not.

8. MisterEd

Jun 6, 2001
    TV Land
    You were probably grandfathered from the old rate before it went up.

9. eddieras99

eddieras99 New Member

Sep 2, 2002
    deerfield, il
    i was at 5.99 - went up to 7.99 - no grandfather for me.

they did lower my rate tho. as i said the first csr i spoke with said i'd have to extend a year too- i asked for a supervisor and she said no to the year, but did lower my rate.

10. henryld

henryld New Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Friendswood, Tx
    All my equipment is owned w/HR10-250 and I pay $5.99. No commitment involved other than a $10 cancellation fee imposed if cancelled within one year.

11. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    When I had D* I paid $0 a month since I had no protection plan. When the dish got knocked out by a storm, I activated the protection plan with one CSR, then had another send out a truck. The day after the dish was fixed, I turned it back off.

There is no reason to waste $72 or $96 a year on equipment they are willing to give away free.

12. MisterEd

Jun 6, 2001
    TV Land
    That "trick" no longer works. There is a minimum (6months?) you have to keep the protection plan or pay an ETF . Also, if they send you free equip without the plan they extend your agreement.