Proposal: Three-Months-You'll-Love-It-Or-Your-Money-Back-Guarantee™ ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by drew2k, Feb 22, 2007.

1. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    There was a discussion in the DirecTV forum about whether or not DirecTV would ever go back to TiVo as its DVR service, and cheer posted the following:

This rings true - you have to try it or know someone who has it to really know just how good TiVo is, and how intuitive it is, and how it blows the cable-co DVRs out of the water.

This may not be an original thought, but ...

TiVo should offer a Three-Months-You'll-Love-It-Or-Your-Money-Back-Guarantee™, with no service fee for the first three months. Customers would just pas for the equipment, try it out, and either return it for a refund of the equipment outlay if they hate it, or sign up for a service plan if they fall in love with it.

Has TiVo ever done any trials like this before? How many more people do you think would be willing to try TiVo if there was no risk attached?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    TiVo already has a 30 day money back guarantee that does this.

Dan

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    it would mean a high up front cost as there could be no rebate until the subscription is signed for.

so for the S3 that is alright as you pay the 600$ or so already but for the S2 it would be 200$ or so unless TiVo wants to get into the strong arm business to get the TiVo back for those that decide not to sub

other than that - yah some kind of try it, you'll like it would let people see what we know already

4. amgqmp1

amgqmp1 New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Iowa
    Being able to try before you buy is a huge obstacle. How many large retailers have TiVo's hooked for customers to try? None of the Best Buy's in my area have TiVo units hooked up to anything. At best, they have a demo unit sitting on a retail shelf (unhooked), and, boxes of the product to buy. So, there's lots of room for improvement in their channel marketing...

My thoughts...have an interactive, flash-based "demo unit" on the TiVo web site. Let people interact with a pseudo TV + TiVo right when they land on TiVo.com. Not quite the same as having it in-house, but, might push some that were hedging to jump the fence...because as Dan203 pointed out, there already is a reasonable satisfaction guarantee.

5. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    But is the service fee also refunded in the first 30 days? Or is it waived entirely?

What I'm talking about is a "no-risk" plan that puts a TiVo in someone's hands long enough for it to become indispensable, to get the full benefit of using WishLists, teach the TiVo your preferences so you see what Suggestions appear, etc. I don't know if 30 days allows for that type of experience ...

6. amgqmp1

amgqmp1 New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Iowa
    Yes, the service fee is included in the current 30 day money back guarantee.

Maybe I'm odd, but, I've never found TiVo to be indispensable. I know what you mean...to the gadget friendly, it can become a necessity. But those people will already fork over the cash to try out the unit...

I like your idea, but, IMHO it will take more than a longer guarantee to tap the market I call "Everyone's Mom". ;)

7. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    I can't imagine that TTG would get my mom to buy. She doesn't like fiddling with computers, codecs, dvds, burners, additional software, and the manual steps involved.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Yep. 30 days risk free. If you return it then all your money is returned, including the service fee.

Dan

9. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Maybe Tivo should start working on Customer Service and listening to its Customers before doing anything else.

Without Good Service, Sales will drop. At the very least, why do we have to wait 30 Minutes to talk to someone on the phone, and for a Company like Tivo, at the very least supply us with an email address!

10. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    The 3 Month No Hassle No Pay Trial is not a bad idea, but like others said there are flaws with the rebates, etc. The first thing I thought of was return periods. If you buy the Tivo from retail do you return it then to Tivo directly and get your refund there? What if BB has it for $220 and it retails from Tivo for $250 do you make $30 from that?

I do understand where you are coming from on your idea though as Tivo is having a problem explaining how they are different from cable company DVRs and one can only understand after they have experienced it. Maybe what Tivo should do is offer to pay for a month rental of the cable company DVR (up to a limit) so people can do a direct comparison in the 30 days. Then it is a no risk (as Tivo does have the 30 day guarantee) and people will get a few month of DVR form cable company and be more willing to possibly try it out.

11. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    They should double that to 60 days (at least, if not making it the 90 the OP recommended) and advertise the heck out of it. It'll convince a LOT of people to give it a shot, I think...

12. samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...
    You guys must be kidding! Why do you think TiVo has 1 year minimum commitment? TiVo loyalty is high on this forum and most the forum members are really hooked on TiVo, but that is not true for the rest of the population.
    If they did 90 days refund warranty they would get whole bunch of people getting "free" 3 month rentals, plus whole bunch of the used units they wouldn't know what to do with.
    Besides, warranty on a unit is only 90 days. All of the warranty repairs would be replaced with a full refund - nobody is stupid enough to pay shipping to get a refurb than they can get all of their money back.
    Although I agree that even going back to original no commitment model would be a step in a right direction, TiVo can not do that because churn rate will be too high.

13. amgqmp1

amgqmp1 New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Iowa
    Nice work! I couldn't have said it better myself...beyond that, TTG is so slow it hurts.

Wait, your mom knows what a codec is? My mom would think it's a camera company...and it's not just because we're in Iowa, I promise. ;)

14. dbtom

dbtom Member

Feb 14, 2002
    New York City
    I see an awful lot of returned Tivos in my local BestBuy and Circuit City. Many more so than other consumer electronics devices. I would be really curious why they have so many returns. If people are buying Tivo, hooking it to an HDTV, then they will probably be disappointed no matter what-- it's still going back. If people get frustrated at set up, maybe a little more time will give people extra incentive to try a little harder.

15. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    I'll agree that it's kind of a pain on the PC - on the Mac (I've only used it once) it's a completely different story. I'm tempted to go out and buy my parents a mac about once every 2 months when I have to drive up there and fix something else... Once they got past the learning curve, I think that it would be alright.

Samo, the point is to get more people to try TiVo. Once they do, and realize that it isn't just a cable company DVR they're more likely to stay and pay.

16. dt_dc

dt_dc Mostly Harmless

Jul 31, 2003
    Northern...
    1/1/2009

Dear Comcast / Cox DVR customer:
    Happy New Years! As you may know, Comcast / Cox has recently started offering their DVR with Tivo service. This exciting service brings all the great Tivo features to your Comcast / Cox DVR such as

(...)
    (insert marketing speak here)
    (...)

For a limited time, this month we will be offering a free preview of the DVR with Tivo service on your existing Comcast / Cox DVR. To take advantage of this exciting offer, simply

(...)
    (instructions)
    (...)

The DVR with Tivo service will then be automatically enabled on your existing Comcast / Cox DVR, without a service call or any additional installation.

We think you'll agree that the Comcast / Cox DVR with Tivo service will be the best addition to your cable service since the couch. To continue using it after the free preview, simply

(...)
    (instructions)
    (...)

Otherwise, after the free preview, you will automatically be downgraded back to the standard Comcast / Cox DVR service.

17. ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Little bit pessimistic there, aren't you?

18. dt_dc

dt_dc Mostly Harmless

Jul 31, 2003
    Northern...
    Actually I'd consider it a bit optimistic ...

You wouldn't do something like the above during the trials ... or as initial markets are being rolled out ... it wouldn't be untill Tivo had been up and rolled out to a majority of markets for a while ... after initial customers had signed on. And certainly after every concievable 'upgrade the existing DVR to Tivo' bug and problem had been encoutered and fixed. You'd probably need to work out some things with the cable companies (agreement to do the trial) ... might want to do some sort of custom trial/sign up iTV app and back-office integration ... may need the TVWorks group to add / do something for ya ...

I wouldn't consider 1/1/2009 at all pesimistic for all that to happen ... optimistic if anything.

Kinda like this: :p
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=3951863&&#post3951863

Or this: :p
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=3707461&&#post3707461

19. CraigHB

CraigHB __________

Dec 24, 2003
    Reno, NV
    What I think they need to do is offer a 90 day trial with no fees whatsoever. They need to headline that in their advertising. If you decide to keep it, then you pay for it. Right now, if you want to try it, you have to pay up front then if you don't like it, you have to seek a refund before the 30 days are up. That's not very attractive. They do need to get as many people as possible trying it. I'm sure they'll get a worthwhile number of people that stay with it. They could recycle the boxes so they wouldn't be eating the hardware cost on every trial. That's what the cable companies do. They only deploy a certain number of boxes then recycle them after that. Maybe they could give the option of keeping the old recycled box for a discount or buying a new one at full tilt when the trial is up.

20. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    30-day money back period is more than sufficient. Increasing that period is likely to lead to more abuse than real customers. IMHO.