Proper shutdown procedure?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by oldsyd, Jun 17, 2020.

1. oldsyd

oldsyd Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Iowa
    I recently reimaged a Premiere that had too much filesystem corruption to be able and recover any settings or recordings. It hadn't been touched for 6 years, so that's probably to be expected. But now I'm thinking forward and I know in the past when my TiVo has been acting weird, I would run the Help > Restart 3 thumbs process.

Sometimes, I'd also use this to "shutdown" the DVR if I was redoing power cables or vacuuming out the fan port. When it restarted before the first splash screen I'd pull the power plug thinking that there probably weren't any threads from the UNIX OS accessing the drive - or at least not very many.

Here's my question - Does the restart function cleanly stop any TiVo processes running before a restart or is it just the same as pulling out the power cord?

I know most OSes have a "shutdown" process that cleanly stops any running processes to minimize corrupting any files on the drive. I just can't find any info here that the TiVo MFS or apps do that.

Thanks,
    Jay

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Before I pull the power, I put my TiVo boxes into Standby. When the green LED goes out, then I pull the plug.

Note: all TiVo units will make a service connection within thirty minutes after a restart or application of power.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    While some people will do that for their own personal reasons, technically you just pull the plug, the file system on a Tivo is designed to allow a hard off event.

Teeps likes this.
  4. oldsyd

oldsyd Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Iowa
    Does standby do anything besides turn off lights and pause scheduled tasks? Are live TV recordings or writing to the drive paused?

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Standby: like it says, normal recording will still happen (or continue). But it will stop buffering all channels. I'm old and set in my ways. Until TiVo supplies a schematic or tells me that a restart does a reset, I consider it like a warm boot (or restart) on my PC. I hate warm boots, but they have a useful purpose at times.

Teeps likes this.
  6. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I always do a soft reboot from the menu, then pull the power plug as soon as the first Welcome screen appears. That gives the TiVo a chance to clear out the Live TV buffers and commit any pending transactions to disk. Truncated backups with DvrBARS are usually about a gigabyte smaller using this method vs an unexpected power off from regular operation or standby. It also clears out the MFS file system transaction log, which indicates a cleaner shutdown IMO.

7. oldsyd

oldsyd Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Iowa
    When you say the TiVo restart function acts like a warm boot, I'm assuming you mean it's like hitting the restart button on an old PC?

This is what I've done in the past. That's good info to know when you image the drive that there's less data there. Unless I learn otherwise I'll keep using this procedure when I have to power my TiVo down.

-Jay

8. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    No, not at all, what you're describing on an "old PC" is a hard reset that's forced with physical switch that the OS doesn't know is happening and has no chance to gracefully shut down services.
    Tivo restart is the same as PC OS initiated restart, a "warm boot" where the OS is giving the command to restart gracefully and close out processes.