Promotion for TiVo BOLT VOX

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by lujan, Jul 27, 2018.

1. lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010

Advertisements

I got an email for a upgrade to a TiVo BOLT VOX by transferring my old Premiere all-in to the Vox for $298.00. Great deal but I was wondering if this box has HDR capability or if any TiVo has HDR yet? I know it has 4k but not sure about HDR.

Mikeguy likes this.
  2. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Point of note, you don’t have to do vox box. You can also choose a 500gb standard white bolt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    I suppose neither of them support HDR?

4. tapokata

tapokata Active Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Either Bolt version will support 4K from streaming services (and can also scale incoming resolution up to 4K), but none of the TiVO apps (yet) support HDR.

5. Gold51

Gold51 The slow road, has the most adventure.

Apr 19, 2017
    Cape Coral

Advertisements

I took advantage of the email offer and ordered a 500gb Bolt to replace an S2. I had just hooked it up a couple months ago for a week and did a complete program guide update. I was surprised to get the email today on another $99 offer. Might sell our Roamio, as it mixes up channels on one station that has 7 SD signals- my Bolt doesn't do that, only on the wife's Roamio. Rebooting fixes the issue, but it's still a pain.
    I put the S2 up for sale on Craigslist for a month @ $100- with the Wifi adapter, too. No takers- I'm glad it didn't sell now.
    On a whim, I tried the promo code on a refurb Bolt- nope- the promo code only works on a new one.

6. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Can my Premier cable card just be put in my new box & run?

7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You'll need to call your cable company to get it paired to the new TiVo.

Scott

8. fredi

fredi Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Maryland
    I ordered an upgrade to a TiVo BOLT VOX to replace my last Series 2, cause I like the Black. I assume it can be downgraded.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    krkaufman likes this.
  10. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I got the offer too for my HD that is having power supply/capacitor issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    Good to know, I ordered one as well but I'm not hearing great things about the new Hydra so not sure if I will keep it or downgrade the interface?

12. Season Pass

Season Pass New Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Finally, can upgrade from HD!!!!! Ordered one for the entertainment center and move the black Friday roamio to bedroom....nice..

13. tlc

tlc Active Member

May 29, 2002
    Do any of the apps support 4k yet?

14. megz1623

megz1623 Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Is a bolt plus available on this deal?

15. tapokata

tapokata Active Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't have 4K service from Netflix, so can't vouch for that. The Amazon Prime app does support 4K, although no HDR (my LG set has a popup indicator when an HDR source is active).

16. Gold51

Gold51 The slow road, has the most adventure.

Apr 19, 2017
    Cape Coral
    I had 4K HDR through Netflix on my Roku TV- the novelty soon wore off and when they raised the subscription rates, I downgraded to just HD. I am totally fine with just HD up converted on my 4K set.
    The HDR feature sure makes the video have an extra zing to it, however, I think my eyes got a bit tired of it. It took a long time for me to get used to HD TV , too.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  17. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    Link to Summer Breeze Sale: TiVo

18. tapokata

tapokata Active Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    The real benefit of 4K is in the use of HDR, which provides for a wider range of perceptible colors... assuming both the source device and the display can handle it. When using HDR, the set typically gets much brighter in the highlight areas, which can lead to eye strain and fatigue.

19. Richard in Marin

Richard in Marin Member

Jan 3, 2007
    SF Bay area
    Can I hook my Premier through this new Bolt to see old recorded programs until Sept. 7? This sounds like a GREAT deal, double the hours recordable, double the recorders, and I can still get "Off Air" sources for $300. Plus, I've seen a lot of things that I would like to see, (and hear) faster.

I think I can afford to see my Premier turn into a brick for this upgrade.

20. Richard in Marin

Richard in Marin Member

Jan 3, 2007
    SF Bay area
    Whoops! I just saw the Bolt has one attachment for cable OR OTA, not both like my Premier. I'm not tech savvy enough to understand why a simple Y connector wouldn't do the trick. Could someone please try to translate the problem into simple terms? Couldn't a couple of "one-way" signal "check valves" be attached? Sorry, I grew up in the steam age.

Speaking of steam: FWIW, there is a very interesting steam operated lumber mill that is open for viewing 4 times a year near Sebastopol, CA.