Project Runway 10/18 (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by lalouque, Oct 19, 2006.

1. lalouque

lalouque Quilter-Cat Slave TCF Club

Feb 11, 2002
    Raleigh, NC

Advertisements

I'm sick, really ill over the final results of this season's Project Runway. Jeff??? After he was sloppy with his accounting and went over budget??? After 3-4 of his outfits were clearly misses?? After Heidi said she's wear any of Uli's outfits in a minute and Nina was asked by someone how to get Uli's clothes as she left the Fashion Week showing???? I just don't get it.

I personally would have ranked Uli 1, Laura 2, Jeff 3 and Michael last. Poor poor Michael. Inexperience showed thru on his "collection". A big disappointment after his fabulous work throughout the season. Maybe if he'd been able to keep Nazri, he would have had better inspiration. I could understand the judges point of view on Laura's collection, although I did not agree with it. But Uli's was beautiful. That dress that changed into a swimsuit... did you hear the crowd on that one?? Simply wonderful.

Anyhoo, other opinions???

lal

2. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    I was pretty mad at the outcome. I was a Michael fan during the season, but he obviously blew it. I actually thought Uli was the best, which is weird since I never really liked her during the season. When they interviewed the crowd, it seemed like most people were agreeing with me. They were fans of Michael but thought Uli should win. Then "I tattooed my son's name on my long ass neck so I can forever embarrass him" wins it? Boo.

3. GDG76

GDG76 .

Oct 2, 2000
    Michael blew it for sure but he will find work.

There was no doubt about it, Uli had the best collection. Laura was next, then Jeffrey. I don't know why they gave it to him.

4. TiVoLance

TiVoLance Half awake

Aug 29, 2002
    Austin, Tx
    I threw up in my mouth a little when they announced Jeff the winner. Bleh! Uli was the clear winner IMHO.

5. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001

Advertisements

:D

6. Mr2sday

Mr2sday New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    The past seasons winners haven't gotten much work. Jay said on his special that people have told him that they expected him to be too busy to do something for them, yet the second place person was getting calls off the hook.

Maybe Project Runway was trying to do Uli a favor by letting her make some cash on her own.

7. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    There's also the problem that Jeffrey already has his own business.

So the prize money is supposed to help him do what, exactly? How is he going to have 'his own line' in a way that he didn't have before?

Who owns the company that he designs for now?

Jan

8. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    I agree -- Uli was robbed! I can't believe Jeffrey won. His collection did not do much for me at all. I thought Uli's collection was the best of the four (I'd place Laura second) and Uli did consistently good work during the show. Plus as someone mentioned, everyone seemed to agree that Uli's work was commercially viable and would be in demand. Nobody was saying anything like that about Jeffrey's collection. Plus does anyone think Jeffrey is a good candidate for an internship with International Concepts? Honestly I think he is too abrasive and arrogant to do well in an internship setting, and INC just seems too mainstream for his ideas to fit in well. Uli just really seems like a better fit for a mutually beneficial relationship there.

I do get the sense that the contestants feel like it's a huge victory to present at fashion week and are less concerned with who actually wins the show, but I still wish the judging would conform to reality a little more.

9. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Boo to Jeffrey winning. :thumbsdown:

I know I'm not adding much here, but I just couldn't stand him. What an unbelievable jerk. And all season long, I thought his clothes would be worn by Gwen Stefani and not many other people. Is the "rock star" market really that big a segment of the American public?

Anyway, I know little about high fashion obviously but I imagine the other three will do just fine with their careers. I actually know people who would love to wear the clothes designed by Laura, Uli and Michael. Michael in particular should be hired pronto by some up and coming hip design house because he will make somebody a lot of money. I could also see Laura designing evening wear for Calvin Klein or something like that. Uli should open her own boutique in Miami and should have investors lining up to fund her.

10. Animgif

Animgif Stud, Esquire

Jan 4, 2002
    The City So...
    VERY disappointed...that's all I can say. Rules are rules...he didn't have receipts AND went over budget. How is that fair? I have to say, I also thought he lost on the merits to both Laura and Uli. Not happy at all. As odd as it sounds, I'd rather Santino to have won last season than Jeffrey this.

11. Girlieerin

Girlieerin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Cambridge, MA
    I was definitely disappointed that Jeffrey won, but how funny is it that he'll be contractually obligated to design at INC for a year. That is seriously going to drive him insane. Zipper laden shirts and straight jacket stripped blazers aren't really big at Macy's...

12. tem

tem Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2003
    I'll dissent and say that Jeffrey deserved to win. Michael was inexperienced and it showed. His collection was worse than Laura's, who was more of the same old same old from her. I was glad when she came in last. Uli's collection was very good and it was probably a toss up until they talked about how it really wasn't *that* much of a stretch for her. It was still lots of prints, halter tops and long, flowy dresses to wear while getting vaaasted at the beach. Jeffrey's showed the most range by far and he deserved to win, even if he went a bit overbudget and had to cut the shorts and wigs (which wouldn't have added anything in the first place). I also thought he had the *worst* models of the bunch. They were all so stiff and had horrible walks. they did him no favors. Uli's really worked it.

13. tem

tem Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2003
    not if he doesn't take the $$ he doesn't. Jay didn't, though it probably didn't work out as well as he expected. jeffrey can make well over $100k from all the publicity he's gotten from PR.

14. Girlieerin

Girlieerin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Cambridge, MA
    Actually Michael came in last ;)

15. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Actually, the person that came in "last" was the first designer who was cut. Whose name I can't even remember now.

(Out of the 15 PR contestants anyway. Arguably, those 15 are still "winners" among the thousands who applied.)

Michael came in fourth, Laura third, Uli second. And like the judges said repeatedly, all three of them have promising careers in fashion ahead of them. Michael probably shows the most promise overall, even though his collection was disappointing.

16. Granny

Granny PatPacker

Mar 29, 2005
    Tukwila, WA
    Michael was inexperienced? I thought they ALL were inexperienced. I thought that was the point of the show.

I don't see how Jeffrey showed range when all of his designs were the same rock-star chic he has been designing all season. The first 5 outfits were all red polka-dots, then he switched to stripes - a real stretch. And just the way he treated the one mother making her cry and then said he didn't care - how is he going to justify that in the real world? A faux pas like that with a paying customer would put any business on a serious skid, so I don't understand why the judges would overlook that incident. And combined with his budgetary problems, he should not have won. They still let him show, that should have been enough.

I don't think anybody really "stretched" for the finale, and why would they? I would want to do stuff I had confidence in. Some of all the items from all 4 were boring and repetitive. I can't stand beige dresses on beige models. But with the comments from the judges about Uli's collection, for her not to win made the judging seem like a farce. If there were actually similar comments about Jeffrey's designs, they should have shown them, to give their decision more credibility. Jeffrey's designs will go far to perpetuate the heroin-chic of the rocker set, and add not one bit of glamour for the other 99% of the population.

17. Girlieerin

Girlieerin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Cambridge, MA
    I think Michael has the most personality (not necessarily the most talent, but personality will take you far) which will inevitably make him very much in demand. It was refreshing that he very rarely fed into any of the on-show drama...I love Laura but she certainly was the Queen of instigation. All in all they all "played" their parts well -- or the producers skewed the footage so that they all fit nicely into their "roles." I can't wait for next season! I wish I could sew. It's amazing what they all were able to create in such a small amount of time.

18. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I was dissapointed that Jefferey won also. I was rooting for Michael, but was glad that Uli got it. Her stuff was gorgeous. And it wasn't all the same as what she had been doing. Oh yes, some was, but she did have some cute outfits with just cremes and mono colors. It was a nice range. I would have had Laura fourth, then Michael, then Jefferey and then Uli to win. I have been tired of Lauras stuff since the middle of the season. It is all the same and all too much beads. Michaels had some nice pieces, but not as many as he needed. Jefferey did have the variety - someone said showing the girls in various stages of the day, but Uli's really made me smile and showed us some different sides to her.

Okay, so did anyone else think it was funny that both Michael and Uli had the safari theme and look how different they were?

19. tem

tem Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Both Jeffrey and Uli have their own lines and have had exclusive showings before. Laura & Michael have not. And that's part of the reason they came in 3rd & 4th.

If you listen to Tim's podcasts, watch the outtakes and read what's available on the internet, there's a lot more to that incident than just Jeffrey being an ass. Angela's mom was no sweetheart, either, refusing to wear something she didn't like and then refusing to tell him what she *did* like. She deserved what she got.

And he was "punished" for the budget issue. He couldn't show the shorts and lost the wigs. The same thing happened to Kara Saun in S1 and she was MUCH worse than Jeffrey in that she had thousands of dollars of custom shoes made, refused to even acknowledge she was wrong, and then tried to present "receipts" for something like $5/pair. And THEN, the judges let her use the shoes but they "couldn't consider them". THAT was way more grounds for dismissal than what Jeffrey did.

20. Stylin

Stylin Stylish Jane Sixpack

Dec 31, 2004
    NYC
    I'm disappointed. I wanted Micheal to win, but his collection was not very good, so I definitely thought Uli should've won - her collection was great.