Programming Vox Remote to turn off TV and A/V receiver

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Ronald Lyster, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Nov 3, 2017 #1 of 31
    Ronald Lyster

Ronald Lyster New Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Just got a new VOX remote for my Tivo Bolt. I was using a Tivo remote with the keyboard built in, and it could turn on and off both my A/V receiver and my TV. I assume this new Vox remote will do the same thing, but I cannot seem to get it to work. I read an old thread here (before the Vox) and was told to press the select and Tivo buttons at the same time - but that does nothing on the Vox remote. I have programmed the remote to turn off the TV and to adjust the volume using the A/V receiver. But to get the A/V receiver to turn on and off at the same time that the TV does is another matter. I can get the A/V receiver to turn on and off with the remote, but by doing that the remote no longer controls the TV (the TV stays on or off) - I have just over-ridden the programming I did for the TV. If I reprogram the on-off function for the TV, I over-ride that function for the A/V receiver. Only one will turn on and off using the Vox remote.

Any ideas? I'm sure there is a way to do this....

2. Nov 3, 2017 #2 of 31
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    There's usually been programming instructions in 'Settings'...are those no longer there?

-KP

3. Nov 3, 2017 #3 of 31
    Ronald Lyster

Ronald Lyster New Member

Nov 3, 2017
    There are instructions on how to do it for one device - and they work. But when programming the second device to use the same button (on/off) you lose the setting for the first device.

4. Nov 3, 2017 #4 of 31
    kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    On my (old) Premiere, there's an option for TV Power, Volume and Mute and another option for A/V Volume and Mute. There's not an option for A/V Power...

-KP

5. Nov 3, 2017 #5 of 31
    Ronald Lyster

Ronald Lyster New Member

Nov 3, 2017
    My "old" remote (a Tivo remote with the pull-out keyboard) worked fine - both A/V and TV power were controlled with the remote on/off button. I can't imagine that the "latest and greatest" from Tivo would lack that functionality.

6. Nov 3, 2017 #6 of 31
    KeepingUp

KeepingUp New Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Michigan
    That s the way the VOX remote is also. I love everything else about this remote and the "new experience". But the fact that it will not power up/down a soundbar is very irritating. Especially so when all the Tivo documentation says it will operate "power, audio, and input on a TV AND/OR av device". That strikes me as a lie.

7. Nov 3, 2017 #7 of 31
    kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You're saying the button labeled 'TV Pwr' also turned your Receiver on/off?

-KP

8. Nov 3, 2017 #8 of 31
    KeepingUp

KeepingUp New Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Michigan
    On a slide remote, the "TV PWR" button turned both the TV and a Yamaha sound bar on or off.

9. Nov 3, 2017 #9 of 31
    Ronald Lyster

Ronald Lyster New Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Hope someone from Tivo jumps in on this conversation. I can't believe that this nifty new remote won't do everything my old Tivo remote did.

10. steinbch

steinbch Active Member

Nov 23, 2007
    The TiVo VOX remote replaces the standard TiVo remote and unfortunately doesn’t seem to offer the “extra” capabilities of the Slide or Glow remotes. This means you can only power on one device from a button and you can not learn remote commands. Throws a wrench in my home theater system since I can’t teach the VOX remote to switch to a specific input on my Onkyo remote.

11. Nak

Nak Active Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Sorry, i can't find it now, but I thought I saw how to do this somewhere... I think you have to add a number. ie, before you programed the tv, then the AVR. I think with the newer remotes you have to a a 0 to the first, a 1 to the second and a 3 to the 3rd. Maybe this is just for the slide pros, but I could swear I saw it somewhere for the Vox remote.

12. KeepingUp

KeepingUp New Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Michigan
    Yes, the slide remote (and the Glow remote) can be programmed like this. The new Vox remote is not a learning remote, so it can not do the second device power up/down.
    It will control audio volume, mute, and input, on a av receiver, but no power up/down.

13. Scott R. Scherr

Scott R. Scherr Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Baltimore
    Did you try holding the Tivo and TV Power buttons at the same and then entering the code for your receiver? This works on the original Roamio remotes.

14. steinbch

steinbch Active Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Does this allow you to have both the TV and receiver programmed at once or is it just to have the power button control the receiver. I thought that it was an either or situation.

15. Scott R. Scherr

Scott R. Scherr Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Baltimore
    Yes, this works. I have a TiVo Vox remote and retains both TV and receiver power settings after entering the receiver code.

rburriel, steinbch and Mikeguy like this.
  16. DZeckhausen

DZeckhausen New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    Maplewood, NJ
    To the OP: Is it possible your AV receiver can be configured to turn on/off by a command from the TV over the HDMI cable? Do you have HDMI-CEC enabled on both devices?

17. rburriel

rburriel New Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Yup. The trick is to program the power on/off to your TV. Then repeat the process, but instead of entering the TV code, you enter the receiver code. The Power button should now turn both the TV and receiver on/off. I just confirmed this on the Bolt (not Bolt Vox). I knew it was possible as I used to do it way back with the TiVo HD.

Mikeguy and MMG like this.
  18. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I just tried to do this with my Vox remote for my Roamio and was unable to get it to work. This is going to be a PITA.

19. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    You can all ignore me. I got it to work. The Vox remote now turns off both my receiver and TV like the old remote did.

EDIT: Followed previous instructions and entered TV code then receiver code. Now TV power buttons turns off both TV and receiver.

Mikeguy likes this.
  20. DENNIS FORD

DENNIS FORD New Member

Jan 22, 2018
    SE MA
    Thanks for the tip. I programmed my vox remote to power on/off tv and receiver. I also programmed receiver volume.
    FYI the receiver power on/off code s/b the same one that you use for the volume. I had codes that would change receiver volume but would not power off the receiver. I had to try multiple codes until both worked.