Programming not available for translator station?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by RDK, Oct 30, 2011.

1. RDK

RDK Member

Oct 8, 2011
    I am using OTA exclusively (with a TiVo Premiere). My antenna is aimed at, and receives the primary networks (ABC/CBS/NBC) from a tower in Seattle (about 15 miles to the East of me), and the programming is fine for these channels.

However, I also receive the CBS signal from a rebroadcast tower to the West of me (freq 26), and because the tower is closer, the signal is stronger than from Seattle (freq 39).

Although the programming on this rebroadcast station is identical to the tower in Seattle, my TiVo doesn't seem to know what this station is, and doesn't carry any programming information.

I've emailed TiVo customer support several times about this, and although they respond promptly, always with the claim that "they are working on it", it's been over two weeks now, with no results.

Is it normal that TiVo would take this long to add a new channel? And in the meantime, is there any way I can tell my TiVo box to use the programming for freq 39 for the signal located at freq 26?

Russ

2. stahta01

stahta01 Simple Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Fort Wayne,...
    Is the signal listed on http://www.zap2it.com/ ?

I think TiVo an zap2it get their data from the same company.

Tim S.

3. RDK

RDK Member

Oct 8, 2011
    I'm not sure that applies to my situation -- Zap2it certainly contains the programming data for the CBS tower in Seattle (frequency 39), but that's not the issue -- the issue is that my TiVo box doesn't know that the station on frequency 26 is a duplicate (which I think is another way of saying that the TiVo database doesn't include this broadcast tower).

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    That could be the issue if Zap2it doesn't list programming data for the channel on frequency 26.
    Does that channel show up in your channel list?
    Call TiVo and report that you are not getting guide info for that station.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Forget TiVo, complain to Tribune Media Services.

6. Nov 1, 2011 #6 of 11
    RDK

RDK Member

Oct 8, 2011
    I looked around on Zap2it, and I couldn't find anything connected to specific broadcast frequencies -- just programming in my area (zip code). Am I missing something?

Also, I did email TiVo (two weeks ago), and I've checked back twice, and they say that they're working on it. Maybe that's normal though.

7. Nov 1, 2011 #7 of 11
    RDK

RDK Member

Oct 8, 2011
    How do I do that?

8. Nov 1, 2011 #8 of 11
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I've never actually done that before myself (though I've certainly wanted to many times).

TMS doesn't serve individual customers like TiVo does, they serve outfits that serve individual customers, like TiVo and newspapers.

They sell listings wholesale to the outfits from which you get the listings retail.

If you have a local newspaper, they probably buy the listings from TMS and might have a contact number or address for them.

If there's a television station nearby, they probably submit their schedule to TMS, so maybe they could give you contact info.

It's not going to be as easy as going to a website and clicking a couple of buttons.

Come to think of it, you should start with the station whose programming you're trying to get from the translator, and get them to lean on TMS, as it's in their interest for potential viewers to get accurate information about them.

If you do, ask them if they (the TV station) have to pay TMS anything to give them programming info or if TMS courts them.

9. Nov 1, 2011 #9 of 11
    WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Actually it is.

10. RDK

RDK Member

Oct 8, 2011
    I still don't see anywhere on Zap2it that broadcast frequencies are listed. And without that, I don't know what to ask them to do?

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Which is why your best bet is to get the station which you want to watch to apply a little muscle to Tribune Media Services, since if TMS don't get the info from the stations they've got nothing to sell, and if the station doesn't have viewers it can't sell airtime.

Kick 'em in their wallets if you want results.