Program transfer/streaming restrictions

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by WindyCityGirl, Jan 25, 2012.

1. WindyCityGirl

WindyCityGirl New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    I currently have a TIVO in my basement that outputs through a splitter to four TV's in the house. Now that streaming is available I am thinking of buying three more boxes and giving up on my awkward setup. My only hesitation is on the TIVO site they mention that some transfers may be restricted and I dont want to find out later that shows I watch are restricted from transfer/streaming between boxes.

Is there a list of what shows/content can't be transferred/streamed?

2. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    The restrictions come in the form of the Copy once CCI byte added by some cable companies. Since MRV required the show to be copied a second time TiVo A to TiVo B - is was not allowed.

MRS is streaming from one TiVo to another and does not require a show to be copied. Thus it is not restricted by the CCI byte.

As far as I know, there are no restrictions to MRS on the Premier.

3. WindyCityGirl

WindyCityGirl New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    So with the ability to now stream is there any reason to every transfer shows?

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    It depends how good your networking is. With a wired network you shouldn't have any problems with real time streaming. For others perhaps with poor wireless networking streaming is not an option and hence transferring is the next best choice.
    Plus it can be useful if you are going to get rid of a series 4 TiVo but want to transfer all programs off it first. i.e. It's good TiVo gives you the option to transfer still as there are uses for it.

5. WindyCityGirl

WindyCityGirl New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    Yep that makes sense to me!
    Thanks for the help guys!!

6. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I tried the streaming when in beta and I found the experience (using a high speed connection) to be nearly indistinguishable from playing a locally stored show.

Just make sure that you have a fast enough connection. MoCA, which works over your existing coax, is very popular.

7. WindyCityGirl

WindyCityGirl New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    I am actually lucky and can access all the tv's easily through the basement (unfinished) so planned on getting a giga-lan setup. Getting excited about the streaming angle!

8. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Just keep in mind that you'll need to pay for service on all 3 of the new TiVos, even if you're only planning to use them for streaming. It will be a lot more expensive than your current setup.

9. 33602Kahuna

33602Kahuna New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Also, be advised that you cannot transfer from a HD Tivo (series 4 & series 3) to a non-hd series 2 or older Tivo.
    That is a Tivo restriction!

10. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    You can transfer SD content from a HD TiVo to a non-HD box. Just not HD content.

11. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    The solution (announced but not yet introduced) is one Tivo with a giant drive- like an Elite and tivo extenders (called Previews in the announcement IIRC). However at this time it is anyone's guess as to how much it will cost monthly on those boxes (basically a cable box that can stream from the main Tivo).

What I have is several Tivos and am in the process of adding another, but a couple of those have no cable card and only recieve basic cable- and those are used for transfer only. Right now, those two are older S3 units, but I may go all Premieres soon. Other than live sports and news in the early AM, we have found we watch no live TV at all any more, so it saves a couple of bucks in the kids' rooms.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Aren't they restricted from streaming the Amazon content between Premieres? You can download it to the Premiere but I thought it was restricted from streaming as well as transferring.

13. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    I am compelled by the pedant in me to point out that it is restricted. The CCI flag that the cable companies are using is "Copy One Generation"; the old MRV didn't work because the copy on the TiVo is considered to be the one copy that's allowed. It can be sent in encrypted form over an approved protected channel marked with "Copy No More" CCI, which prevents the receiver from creating a copy, other than an up-to-90-minute-long-buffer. I assume that they're using DTCP-IP as the transport for their streaming protocol.

14. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    During the beta testing/phase I was able to stream Amazon content. MRS hasn't yet been activated between my existing Premiers so I can't say for sure that it's still the case.

15. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    What do you mean by "MRS hasn't been activated yet"? Is there something you have to do to get the streaming option?

I ask because I just got the 20.2 update and I do not get a MRS option on shows- doesn't bother me as my cableco doesn't set the flag. I just assumed it only became an option on shows which couldn't be transfered.

16. Michael in Maine

Michael in Maine New Member

Dec 19, 2010
    I have been trying to get MRS to work for a couple of days. After calling support twice and spending about an hour on the phone, they told me that there is something missing on my account and it will take them three days to fix it. So if you think your configuration meets all the requirements, but you don't get the streaming menu options, call support and ask them to fix your account. Good luck.

17. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    There's an account setting that has to be enabled for each of your TiVo Premieres to enable the capability. There is no web page for enabling it yourself so TiVo has to activate in your account. There doesn't seem to be any indication under System Information if it is enabled or not so the only way to know is browsing a remote S4 unit and seeing if you have option to "Play" instead of just "Transfer".

For the more advanced users The Now Playing XML has a flag for each recording indicating if it can be streamed or not as well, so there is also ability for individual shows to not be streamable. Amazon downloads for example are in that category. When MRS is disabled in your account the flag is set to No for all shows.

18. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    Copy protected cable content is received by TiVo from a CableCARD via a DFAST protected connection. It's the DFAST Technology License Agreement which dictates how protected content is handled. Downloaded rental stuff isn't received that way and isn't controlled by that license. I'd guess that its use is controlled by a private agreement between TiVo and Amazon.

19. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It will be turned on by Monday for all boxes. No need to call TiVo.

20. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    Thanks for the replies. As I said, I am in no hurry for the streaming option, so I can wait a while and see if it shows up.