Program Guide Screwed Up Again

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Emacee, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    Tivo did it again. CBS at the last minute and for reasons known only to themselves, decided to have CSI: New York run in Blue Bloods' time slot. I have a season pass for Blue Bloods but when I went to watch it, I got CSI New York instead. (1) The networks should set a schedule and stick to it. (2) The change was made enough in advance that Tribune Media had the correct schedule and posted it to Zap2It.com and other sites that subscribe to their service. I checked. (3) But Tivo did not include the updated information in the on-screen program guide. My last program guide update was at 4:51pm today.

Damn you, Tivo. I pay for your box and your kludgy software and I pay for your program guide. The idea is I don't have to look up TV schedules and manually program recordings like I used to with a VCR. Oh, wait! It looks like I do have to look up and schedules and program recordings manually because Tivo fails to provide accurate schedule data.

Tivo, you really know how to alienate your fan base.

2. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Just pirate the episode. It's what Tivo and CBS want you to do.

3. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    What do you mean by "reasons known only to themselves"? CBS didn't want to run new episodes against game 7. Are you living under a rock?:)

It's a shame tivo wasn't able to update the program info in time. We'll (probably) have to force a recording next week. Manual recording or set to record duplicate.

Not sure why you need to pirate an episode which hasn't aired yet.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    And pray tell how I would go about pirating it onto the S2 DT I set up for my mom so that it appears in the folder with the rest of the current season's episodes with the proper show name and episode title and synopsis, just as if she'd actually Tivo'ed it off of the local CBS affiliate?

5. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Was it a rerun? (of CSI wherever)

Did they air what they said they would in the 8 and 9 pm slots?

6. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts

Oh I didn't realize it hasn't even aired. Tivo should really do something about the World Series. Maybe they should nicely ask MLB to stop airing it because it interferes with Tom Selleck?

7. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Go Cards:)

8. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    You have awfully high expectations for someone who is downloading the show illegally.

Really, I think we should write letters to MLB and ask them to cancel the World Series next year so Tom Selleck will never be interrupted ever again!

9. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Will it not do that if you have proper metadata for it and pull it from a PC via pyTivo? And as others have pointed out, no new episodes were aired on CBS. The problem that is going to cause is that the TiVo thinks it already recorded those episodes so an FRO SP will not pick them up when they are shown. They will have to be manually added via "Record this episode also"

My sig speaks for me on what I think about the complaints here. It was a last minute decision by CBS to show reruns when the World Series didn't end on Thursday. They were the only network that made this decision. Just because it showed up in ZapIt doesn't mean it got into Tribunes DB in time for TiVo to pick it up, format it and propagate it to the users. FOX managed to get their schedule changes made in time. They, of course, didn't have much choice.

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I was pointing out the impracticality of doing so, in response to the person who suggested that as a solution to the problem of the last-minute CBS schedule change.

11. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    same thing happened to me also at 9p.m. they showed a rerun of csi miami instead of csi ny. I was mad because i hate baseball and i wont even watch the superbowl anymore unless the patriots are playing. why do the networks think they have to cater to the sports crowd? there are people like me who would rather watch our regularly schedulded program!! especially in this dayof TIVOS and dvrs!!!

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Pirating was suggested by someone else as a solution to the problem. I was pointing out the problems with the solution.

13. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Cherchez la moolah.

Did they at least run that new show at 8pm?

14. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    And I was pointing out that, legalities aside, you really only have one technical problem with the solution - getting it to your mother's TiVo. I was also pointing out that, in this instance, that your mother will have to take affirmative action to record the episodes when they are actually shown.

I should have made two separate posts or at least put a separator in. The second paragraph was not aimed specifically at you.

15. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    CBS wasn't "catering to the sports crowd". They were catering to their bottom line. They figured that the ratings would suffer too much of a drop off to waste new episodes on.

16. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If you are talking about "Grimm" (9PM EDT), that was NBC, not CBS, and yes they did. They also ran the season premiere of "Chuck".

I think CBS was the only network that decided not to compete against the World Series.

17. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    It's always painful when there is a last minute schedule change. My TiVo DID get the Fringe change, but didn't get the Blue Bloods change. It was just too last-minutey. (I assume by now you've realized an unexpected World Series Game 7 happened.)

May I suggest something: Keep an eye on the Season Pass Alerts forum. This exact issue was raised there about 24 hours in advance. Further, there will be people who keep an eye on when the bumped programs (ex: Blue Bloods, Fringe) will re-air, and will help you if your TiVo doesn't automatically pick it up.

I know it seems like a PITA, but I check that forum twice a day, morning & evening. It's saved my butt many times.
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=10

Five posts in six years. Impressive!

18. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    This.
    Tribune hasn't updated yet, but I'm guessing that CBS will reschedule the episode "Black and Blue" for Friday, November 4.

I set myself a reminder to check it before Friday.

Yes, it's an annoyance but it's really a minor annoyance.

19. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I was watching my recording of CSI Miami and CBS actually had a commercial telling people with DVRs to set their DVRs to record an extra hour due to football games possibly going over.

Struck me as funny/interesting that they felt enough people DVRed CSI Miami to remind them to set an extra hour buffer.

Thanks,

20. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    I wouldn't say watching a show "On Demand" from the network website or via some service like Hulu, Amazon or iTunes is "pirating." The networks post the stuff online for people to watch. Cable companies have recent shows available on demand, too. One drawback for Tivo users is we don't get to access those shows, but that's another rant.

Bottom line: The FCC should stop these last minute schedule changes. Make a schedule and stick to it. The network suits seem to think everybody is following what they do. I recall several years ago ABC had a serial legal drama, which was very popular for a while. But it was a serial. At the last minute one week, they decided they'd do a news special in the time slot and move the serial to an hour earlier. They managed to screw over not just DVR time-shifters, but anyone who tuned in at the regular time to watch the show live. They ended up apologizing and re-running that episode again the following week. You'd think the suits would learn but apparently not.

The issue here is we pay for Tivo subscriptions (and the price keeps going up) and part of what we pay for is the latest information Tribune Media has. Tivo boxes check in several times a day (VCM Connection), in addition to the regular daily "Service Connection" to download program schedules. Tivo should use the VCM connection to send last minute or emergency schedule changes to users' boxes.

Tivo should also alert users when an already-scheduled recording or Season Pass recording follows some live event (which is likely to disrupt the schedule). Tivo prompts you to pad recording times when you schedule a recording of a live event but live events screw up the rest of the schedule on that channel. You should get an alert about those, too.