program guide for OTA digital translators

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by markens, Jan 5, 2009.

1. markens

markens Member

Apr 12, 2007

Advertisements

Here's a potentially obscure question. Sorry if it repeats another post, but I was unable to find relevant information through search.

I'm curious to hear what people know about this:

I live in a market (Medford/Klamath Falls, OR) with numerous low power OTA translators because of terrain. In the past, of course, all have been analog. With the upcoming transition to digital, several have been converted to DTV translators.

I receive all but one of the main full power digital channels OTA, and my S3 gets program guide info for these. No problem so far.

The remaining channel's main transmitter is blocked by terrain. But a DTV translator is now available. My S3 detected it during channel scan, and I receive it just fine. Yay!

BUT: The program guide info for channel 10.1 seems to be tied to their main OTA RF channel (currently 35), while the translator is on channel 47. Therefore, no program guide info. [Similar issue to not getting guide data for clear-QAM cable channels. But that's not what I'm bringing up here.]

So, several questions for the gurus:

- Is availability of program guide info a general problem for (analog or digital) OTA translators operating on a different RF channel than the associated main full power transmitter?

- Is there any way to teach the TiVo to overcome this?

Thanks much!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Those Low-Power OTA stations are exempt from converting to Digital broadcasting and will be able to continue to broadcast after Feb 17th.

3. markens

markens Member

Apr 12, 2007
    While true, this doesn't address my question. Anyone else? Thanks!

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I don't know, but it seems to me like you could call up Tivo and report it as a lineup issue.

5. cramer

cramer Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Raleigh,...

Advertisements

No. Since it's a rebroadcast of some other channel forwhich guide data exists, it's just a matter of linking the two together. However, the tivo headend objects have no concept of channel aliasing.

Simple answer: No.

Long answer: Change the RF channel of the respective channel object. However, that requires a command line on your tivo, and anything you do to change it will be blindly replaced when the headend object(s) change at tivo (which is based on your zipcode. The dynamic lineup update "script" stopped being a tcl script years ago, so preventing lineup updates is nearly impossible today.)

6. markens

markens Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Followup: I called TiVo support to ask them this question. Answer I got: if the translator information has been reported to Tribune Media, and is in the program guide, then the TiVo should be able to use it ok. To the TiVo, it is simply another channel in the OTA listings. (I see in zap2it that there are indeed some translators for my market in the listings. Just not the one I want to use.)

TiVo suggested I contact my local station to have them report their translators to Tribune. I have done this and will report back anything further I find out.