Program Guide bad or channel lineup bad or....?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by hershey4, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Feb 4, 2021 #1 of 23
    hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation

Advertisements

I'm so confused. Back in December I created a OnePass for a new show Nurses airing on NBC (810 Boston) Tuesday nights. I forgot all about it until yesterday. I went looking for it in my Shows or Conflicts or Deleted and couldn't find it anywhere. I think I found it in TODO scheduled for next Tuesday on channel 1011 - THat is WJAR.. I think that is NBC in Providence. I don't get that channel! So that at least explains why it wasn't recording. BUt how did it get there?

So then I went to the OnePass options and checked the Channel it was set for -- it was still set to 810. There was a choice of only two channels with the arrow ... 810 or 1011. Why not 1010 (which is the higher number version of boston NBC 810)?

So I deleted that OnePass and created a new one. This time, I was not allowed to pick 810. 1011 was the only thing I could set.

So I searched the Program Guide and found that next Tuesday on 810 is "To Be Announced". 1010 has Nurses but I can't get there from here.

I manually created a recording for 2/9 for Channel 810 10-11 to see what records, but that's just curiousity/workaround. I can't set a OnePass because that will record ALL to-be-announceds. been there done that. I suppose I could manually record Channel 1010 Nurses. Didn't think of that last night. Can I make a ONePass from a Manually time/channel Record?

What is going on? Program Guide? Comcast? :confused::(:mad: What can I do?

sorry so long... :(

2. Feb 4, 2021 #2 of 23
    NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    you didn't mention which tivo model or guide version you're using, so these answers aren't as detailed as they could be, but here's where i'd start:
    remove duplicate channels and channels you don't receive from the tivo guide in settings, then, if there are still channels in the guide showing "to be announced," submit a channel lineup request (or, repeat guided setup).

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  3. Feb 4, 2021 #3 of 23
    hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    Thanks, I can nswer the easy part. it's a Premiere/Series 4. Not sure what guide version. I looked in System Info didn't see anything. Where can I find it?

What do you mean by duplicate channels? Do you consider 810 and 1010 duplicates? I never used to have 1010. The 1000+ channels are relatively new (they showed up a year or so ago and caused some temporary glitch with my channels/guide. I forget the details). .

I looked at the channel list but I have no idea what channels I do and do not receive. The list is rather primitive looking... no logos or clues as to what they are. I did uncheck the problematic 1011 though.

Guided setup sounds scary. Whats a channel lineup request?

4. Feb 4, 2021 #4 of 23
    NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    a premiere uses guide "tivo experience 3" (te3), so i may be able to help (fingers crossed!).

are you using xfinity or rcn?

5. Feb 4, 2021 #5 of 23
    hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation

Advertisements

probably xfinity because I don't know what rcn stands for. Isn't xfinity just the brand name of Comcast?

6. Feb 4, 2021 #6 of 23
    hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
  7. Feb 4, 2021 #7 of 23
    WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I'm in a completely different market Wash DC and I noticed a similar issue with Nurses except that I have 'ONLY NEW' and the Rovi guide is in error showing this PAST TUES as not new. I wondered why it wasn't there Wed AM when I looked. Rovi shows currently that 2/09 isn't NEW either BUT Gracenote does when I checked. It's not an Xfinity issue unless that's what they're supplying Comcast. I sorta made a 'mental note' to watch the guide for a few days and se if Rovi catches.

8. Feb 4, 2021 #8 of 23
    hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    Update: I just went to check the guide again for 1010 NBC for next Tuesdays episode and now it says TBA. Last night it said Nurses. I did a Search too and today nothing comes up. Yesterday it found it. I wonder if me unchecking 1011 had anything to do with this new development?

The good news is I just watched the first 3 episodes of Nurses On Demand and it is excellent! Thank goodness for On Demand!

p.s. no idea what Rovi or Gracenote is. More stuff to learn!

9. Feb 4, 2021 #9 of 23
    NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    from what i can tell, you have at least two issues:

first, you either need to uncheck channels above 1000 and keep using 0-999, or the reverse, uncheck 0-999 and begin using 1000 and higher. with the channel realignment, i've begun using 1000 and higher, as those should be the channels kept going forward.

second, once you choose which channels you'll use, repeat guided setup for your zip code, and that should eliminate the "to be announced" from the guide. it will take a little time to fully restore your guide, so start it at least a couple of hours before the next recording is scheduled in the to do list. you can find this in settings & messages > help > restart or reset > restart or reset > repeat guided setup.

good luck!

10. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    what about all my OnePasses that are all using 800's? If I switch to 1000+, are they toast?

Is the point of guided setup to set/reset which channels I receive from Comcast? If so, wouldn't that undermine the above checking/unchecking?

The thought of unchecking 1000 or so little boxes doesn't sound like fun.

11. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    no, once the guide issues clear the 1p's will migrate automatically to the new channel - you can change them manually if you'd like, too.
    no, it's to restore the program listings and eliminate the "to be announced."
    it actually goes fairly quickly, but it should only have to be done once, and must be done to eliminate the troubles you're having with your 1p's - it also eliminates duplicate channels from your guide.

12. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    Thanks for the answers. I gave this some thought and I decided to uncheck the 1000's. I have finally learned (or can reference a quick cheat sheet I made) of 20-30 infrequently used channels. I don't want to have to learn new numbers or remake the cheat sheet. I am hoping the problem started last year when the 1000+ channels came on board and messed up things when I checked them all because it looked like my 800's were going to disappear (but they came back).

I also saw that another recent OnePass I made for a new CNBC show usually on 795, I had to set for 1121 CNBC. I didn't give it much thought at the time why it wasn't on 795. Now I see that 795 in that time slot the program guide shows TBA.

So if I uncheck all the 1000's now, will things (1P and Guide) migrate to the 800's? I gather you are saying that 810 and 1010 are duplicates which is the root of the TBA problem. (although 1010 and 1011 are not duplicates and that was the particular 1P NURSES problem).

I was also wondering what Channel Scan option means in settings? Will that cause everything to get re-checked again? Is that a less invasive form of guided setup?

I was reading about GUided Setup on tivo.com and it says that it teaches the DVR my network settings, TV Channel Lineup and preferred A/V settings. I guess that means I will lose any customization settings I have made over the years. Where does it get the Channel Lineup from? The listed reasons for repeating Guided Setup don't cover this use case, but presumably their documentation is not up to date with their crappy software! ha ha ha

One last thing... I think I've read stories here over the years here about Tivo's occasionally getting bricked when Guided Setup screws up. Do you know what factors contribute to that risk?

13. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    I bricked my Premiere doing a "Clear Program Information and To Do List". The TiVo eventually reboots but never leaves the "Just a few minutes more" boot up screen. There is a fix for it now (kickstart 57) but doing that will delete your recordings.

14. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That bug was supposed to be fixed last month. I'm too chicken to test it.

Tivo Rolling Out TE3 Software Upgrade 20.7.4d.RC8

15. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    Was that an optional choice in Guided Setup or regular step? Why would one want to clear TODO list... unless you assume it will get rebuilt? "Program Information" not clear either. Guide?

16. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I consider it a "reset" of the guide & scheduling system. I used to do it a few times every year. Now, not so much.

17. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    Answer: YES!!! WOO-HOO NO MORE TBAs! No Guided Setup!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for everyone's input!

18. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    Well, I spoke too soon. When I wrote above, I had seen on the TODO list that the Manual Recording I had set up for that time slot got renamed to Nurses (tues 2/9). That was impressive. I set up the OnePass for future Nurses shows and it was in the TODO list too (tues 2/16 10:00). THe CNBC show OnePass changed from 1121 back to 795. I also had some other PBS shows that had been set for 1044, and I saw they were now back to 802 -- in the TODO list and the OnePass itself. THe Guide had no TBAs.

Then the next day I looked and found the TODO list now said "This is US" instead of Nurses. ThisIsUs is 9:00-10:00. But maybe it ends at 10:01 which could explain the manual name confusion. So I deleted the Manual recording and the One Pass and re-did the One Pass from scratch. It looks fine but it won't go into the TODO list. Clicking on Upcoming shows the episodes, but they have no double-blue-check. I could do "record this episode" and I can get a single blue check.

So still weird, but much better. Seems to be just that show. I'm going to leave it like this for now, but keep my eyes peeled for other trouble.

19. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I mentioned earlier that I had issues with Nurses also. Check your 'guide' and I believe the upcoming episodes aren't mentioned to be NEW but with previous air dates back in 2020. Tues 2/9 10:00 NBC Sea 1/Ep 8, First aired 2/24/20. If you do your TODO as I do and to only do NEW it will of course pass by them. Last week I just did 'up coming' and checked record those and they're flagged with single 'check-mark', 2/16 10:00 NBC is now in my guide with 'no check' as I expected and shows Sea 1/Ep 9, First aired 3/2/20.

hershey4 likes this.
  20. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    Wow! That's it. It's not NEW after all. Great catch! Thanks!

I removed the single-episode recordings and changed the 1P to NewAndReruns, but that still didn't get it on the TODO list. But that's okay. I'll chalk that up to prior glitch somehow. Or a new glitch. Still weird that it went from Manual Recording to Nurses to This is Us!

I wonder how this new show missed my radar back in early 2020. I really like it. All caught up from On Demand.