Program Descriptions

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Emacee, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...

Advertisements

Lately a lot of program descriptions have been getting too long to fit in the show description box. This is a pain since then you have to leave the guide and go to the program page and then the details page to see the whole thing (including whether the show is a repeat).

Now somebody is going to replay that Tribune Media writes these descriptions so complain to them. NO! I paid TiVo for a subscription which includes the program guide. Tivo is Tribune Media's customer (probably one of their biggest customers), so they have the clout and the responsibility.

Tivo needs either to find someway to accommodate longer descriptions in the guide or set character limits for Tribune Media so the entire description will fit in the guide.

As I looked at the recent postings here, it seems like Tivo has reached high levels of dissatisfaction among what should be their most loyal users. Truth is I don't much like the company and how they do business either. This is just one example of things they let slide. I stay with Tivo not because they are so good but because the cable DVRs are so bad. If they are having business problems it's nobody's fault but their own incompetence.

2. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    No, don't complain to TMS, they don't write the descriptions, the companies that produce the shows would be providing that information, so complain to them. ;)

Why? what happens if they don't?

The vast majority of complaints are as ridiculously minor and as irrelevant to the majority of Tivo users as your complaint.

Not implementing things that a handful of people are whining about is not 'letting things slide'

3. HerbieHightower

HerbieHightower New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Looks like you stirred up a Fanboi LOL

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Not even close. Scandia101 was being nice. ;)
    We hear complaints like this all the time, but what are we supposed to do about it?
    This forum is not affiliated with TiVo, Inc. A complaint like this needs to go directly to TiVo.

5. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA

Advertisements

Can you give me some examples of what you're talking about?

We can certainly report them to Tribune.

Did you know that in many screens you can see the full description with the Info button?

6. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    What I would like to be able to do is go directly from a guide display to a detailed info display. Is there a way to do that?

7. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Does the new premie interface allow for more description without having to descend to a details page.

As far as the interface on other HD tivos, I think the word "slide" is being kind. Ignored is more accurate (SD interface on an HD marketed product that does not even show enough characters in lists to display the entire movie or show name... instead opting for characters so huge they can be read on a 17 inch SD antique from across the room).