program data from spain

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by spanish nigel, Feb 19, 2008.

1. spanish nigel

spanish nigel New Member

Feb 18, 2008

Advertisements

I know this has been asked before but I dont understand the answers sorry.

I am living in spain for the next 12 months and have access to sky.
    I have a telephone line and a tivo box which I have had for years.
    I also have the lifetime subscription.
    I know how to prefix the telephone number with 0044 to call uk from spain.
    I cannot however find anywhere on the system which shows the number which tio uses so that I can drop the leading zero ?
    The other solutions about UUpop numbers doesn´t mean a thing to me.
    Is there anybody out there who can guide a novice thru this please?
    Thanks Nigel

2. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Neither can I, unfortunately :(

Here are the UUNET access numbers from Spain. I think you just need to put this number in the "Prefix" bit of the relevant Tivo screen; "phone settings" or whatever it is.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with a better answer ;)

3. BigH

BigH New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    do you have a router? perhaps invest in a network card and update that way (I'm assuming that would work in Spain)

4. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Used to be +44 207 906 1000

I suspect the usual freephone number will not work outside UK

5. kitschcamp

kitschcamp Tweaked and poked

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...

Advertisements

Don't worry, Carl, you're right. Just add a couple of ,, at the end to make sure.

6. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Well, with all the posts I make it had to happen once :p

7. spanish nigel

spanish nigel New Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Hi guys

I have tried two of the numbers which say they cover all of spain (with and without the commas).

Unfortunately I always get the message "failed- failed to connect".

Thanks anyway.

8. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Hmmm. Sorry. No ideas.

9. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Have you tried +44 207 906 1000 ?

10. kitschcamp

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    Hmm. How far does it get? Does it get beyond waiting for a dial tone? I'd turn off the wait for dial tone in dial settings, as the tone is usually different from country to country, and it may be failing there.

11. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Now why didn't I think of that :(

12. spanish nigel

spanish nigel New Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Hi again

Fistly to OZSAT thanks for your tip and yes I did try it but like you I didn´t expect it to work and it didnt.

Secondly (sorry for not being more specific) when I tried the two numbers I did try all sorts of combintions of with and without dial tone recognition and the other options but to no avail.

It gets as far as dialling ie it prepares and it dials but then it always comes up with the same message of unable to connect?

13. kitschcamp

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    Ok, what happens if you dial the number with a real telephone?

14. spanish nigel

spanish nigel New Member

Feb 18, 2008
    I assume you are joking but you may be right in what you say. I live in the Montes de Malaga and there is no such thing as a "real telephone". I use a radio phone but I cannot see why this shouldn´t work ? I can dial al the usual numbers thru it including the spanish equivalents of the numbers listed in UUnet pops ie premium rate and freephone spanish numbers. also I am getting a different message today of "Failed phone busy"

15. kitschcamp

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    I wouldn't know that you had a radio phone until you said it just now!

Getting voice to work is a lot different to getting data to work. You may need the settings to force it to connect at a slower speed, assuming it will work at all over a radio phone. Is the radio link analogue or digital? If it's the latter, you may really struggle.

16. spanish nigel

spanish nigel New Member

Feb 18, 2008
    The phone has a sim card at its heart and picks up signals from a mast in the distance. I dont think the data download is an issue as it doesn´t get as far as actually connecting.
    Also I use a data card with an integral sim to connect to the internet (as I am doing now) and that processes all the data.

17. davidshack

davidshack Peripatetic member

Aug 17, 2002
    perpetual...
    Hi
    I have connected successfully and received guide info whilst using a TiVo in France, Switzerland and Spain.

If you had a standard landline, dialing the "local" access number usually works well - and at only the cost of a local or non-geographic call within that country. See page 63 of TiVo viewer's guide. Essentially you change "dialing options" to set a dial prefix (I used 901988888,, when I was in Spain some years ago). You add the commas to force a pause after your "dial prefix". TiVo will dial its default UK freephone number after its processed your "dial prefix" and without commas you risk this happening before you're properly connected to the Spanish server. You might also need to switch off "phone avail" and/or "dial tone" detection: try the default settings first.

If you had a VOIP line* you can usually make a test call OK, but daily calls fail in my experience. I believe because of the way VOIP calls are chopped up and routed - doesn't bother voice communication, does bother fax or data.

As you have a radio phone, this landline/VOIP comparison perhaps gives some light on your difficulties.

Assuming your "data card with integral SIM" can run a network, getting your guide data over the internet should solve the problem - and not cost you a cent in phone calls. These savings would over time pay for any necessary card / cable for your TiVo. Setting this type of connection up is described exhaustively in the forum.

hope that helps
    David

* why would you have a VOIP line? As in a proper ATA adaptor connected to your broadband router (not Skype)?
    - no line rental costs
    - top voice quality
    - location independent. Your UK phone number rings anywhere you plug in the ATA: in Spain, France, Australia (and at no cost to you, UK geographic cost only to your caller). Great for ex-pats, UK friends seem much happier to chat if they are not dialing you on an overseas number.
    - very low call costs UK & worldwide, landline & mobile

18. spanish nigel

spanish nigel New Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Thanks David it did help.

I now know that I have at least been attempting to connect the right way and it aint going to happen !!

I will try and find the computer scenario within the forum but if you find it first point me in the right direction.

My only concern is that people who are into computer never write things in idiot speak (which I need).
    They always say things like "you need to by a vdpop twirly device". which doesnt mean a thing to me and then they expect that once bought you will know where to stick it.

This is going to be my problem but thanks anyway.
    Nigel

19. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    See www.steveconrad.co.uk/tivo/cachecard.html

However you may find it much easier to buy a secondhand Tivo with a Cachecard, RAM and larger hard drive already installed on Ebay and then sell your current Tivo on Ebay if you are not at all technically minded and not in to upgrading things. Obviously postage costs from the UK to Spain on a Tivo could be a little high though.

Or you could buy a Cachecard and new hard drive with the drivers for it at www.tivocentral.co.uk or www.tivoheaven.co.uk but you would still have to wield a screwdriver to open your Tivo and replace the hard drive and install the Cachecard. However it may work out cheaper to buy a Tivo on Ebay with Lifetime Sub, Cachecard and RAM if you are currently subscribing monthly. If you already have a Lifetime Sub there is a better case for just buying a Cachecard and new hard drive. Or even a cheaper Turbonet card would do for what you want if you can find any for sale on Ebay.

Do you have any computer minded friends out in Spain there who could help you with installing the Cachecard? Presumably there must already be a large satellite dish and box where you are for you to be condisdering using Tivo there in the first place?

20. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Search a well known auction website for the word Turbonet and a couple of interesting results come up:-

1. A 160Gb Tivo with a Turbonet card and Lifetime Sub. Closing in 3 days.

2. A TurboNZNetwork card which has the same functionality as a Turbonet card and which they appear to be willing to ship to the UK from NZ (and therefore presumably also to Spain) for just over £30. This is cheaper than a Cachecard (nearer to £70) and does everything you want but you would still need to pull the Tivo hard drive and get someone who understands computers to install the Linux drivers to get it to work for you.

You then simply need to connect the Tivo to your broadband router (if that is you have one) or a laptop PC network socket if you have a crossover network cable (for the latter).

Also you can then install Tivoweb and enjoy all the additional functionality that also provides in controlling your Tivo. See www.steveconrad.co.uk/tivo/tivoweb.html

I hope this helps. A TurboNZ card is still a much cheaper option than a one year subscription to Sky for Sky+ at a minimum £192. And as we know Sky+ is rubbish by comparison.