Product Lifetime No Longer on Account?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by rfa5, Sep 17, 2020.

1. rfa5

rfa5 New Member

Jan 1, 2018

Advertisements

I usually don't visit my account page on Tivo but today I noticed that my on list of devices that I have, all have the Product Lifetime listed in the Payment Plan column except for my Bolt which only says Service Only, Annual. I'm pretty sure all along every device said Product Lifetime in the past. Did my Bolt reach it's product lifetime so now it is no longer covered? I'm a little concerned as lately when rebooting the Bolt it does not reboot completely, just getting stuck on a snowy screen. I have to unplug it and try rebooting it again. This continues sometimes 2 or 3 or 4 times before it does boot up completely.

2. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Possible the hard drive is going bad. As for account, it would not be anything like it has reached the end of it's product lifetime. It's either lifetime or not. You are not sure if you purchased it with product lifetime?

3. rfa5

rfa5 New Member

Jan 1, 2018
    My bad!!! I'm mixing up product lifetime with continual care!! I'm assuming I still have continual care for a Bolt that was purchased 12/17

4. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    rfa5 likes this.
  5. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008

Advertisements

That is terrible, at least for Bolt and previous. Bolts and Roamios without service are only worth $50 or so if that. Once you get into higher tiers would be cheaper to just buy a used one. Up to $249 for a replacement of non lifetime? Edge maybe, anything else probably not.

6. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Is that really legal to change? For anyone who purchased devices before the change? If I bought something that had a pretty much unlimited $49 replacement cost regardless of age that would be part of my purchase decision. How can they just change that, especially when most "replacements" now would cost $99-249 (anything over 365 days?) Perhaps if you bought before Sept 1 2020 they will still honor the $49? I also notice they make you pay shipping both ways. That could be $30-50 easy. And sales tax?

Maybe part of it is they seem to have no Bolts or Roamios available any more, they have been replacing some units with Edge. Which in some cases might be ok, in others not so, TE3 users would not be happy, nor would those who own boxes that can be used as cable or OTA, Edge is cable only or OTA only. This is probably why they stopped offering extended warranties awhile back also, usually extended warranties are a gold mine for companies. But if they anticipate not having replacement units available then can't offer extended warranty. Kind of seems to me they are preparing for the "end", of DVR service at least. Hopefully they are obligated to provide guide service for at least 4-5 more years, anyone who purchased lifetime service fairly recently knows it would probably take 3-4 years before you'd see savings on lifetime vs monthly/yearly. I think I am done purchasing Tivo DVRs, other than perhaps a good deal on a 3rd party used model. Even if promo, the base cost of a cable Edge is $400, even with a lifetime transfer for $99 cost would be $500, tax and the value of the unit you are transferring service from............................ Ah well, most know this already, for me and my units I'm ok as long as they provide guide service and don't break the OS TOO bad, TE3 has been having issues, TE4 some also.

7. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    You know this is first I had heard about the updated "continual care". Far as I know the $49 continual care used to be for monthly/yearly devices only. Clicking the link above I did not see anything about that, perhaps it includes lifetime devices now? If it does, and the prices include transferring the lifetime service then not so bad, could actually be good in some cases. Hard to think of situation where it would be good if monthly/yearly device though, except for an Edge, maybe.

Edit: It actually does say it includes lifetime/all in devices now. So if you've got a broken lifetime Bolt or Roamio and they send an Edge with lifetime could end up pretty good. Especially a cable Edge.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020