Product Lifetime-Bad Drive-Whats Next?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mexwave, Apr 12, 2011.

1. mexwave

mexwave New Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Hello,

This is my first post & I hope its in the right area. If not , mods please move it.

I have a Sony Svr-2000 with Plt that I have been using for a long time. Looks like the drive needs replacing. It wont boot all the time.

My question is if I get a new drive with tivo firmware/software on it, am I going to lose my product lifetime? If so, should I use a drive recovery program to try and salvage data? I dont care about recovering any recorded data, just dont want to lose the lifetime.

Your thoughts would very helpful.

Thanks in advance,
    mexwave

2. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Product Lifetime is not tied to the harddrive, so no worries there!

3. mexwave

mexwave New Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Thanks orangeboy. Thats good news. Should I load a drive myself or buy one ready to go?

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    That is up to you. If you ask the question, I'm guessing you are fully able to review the various tools in order to do it yourself.

The tools to do it yourself are free. But do it soon, while you can use the image on the failing drive.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Tell me what computer hardware (motherboard brand and model numbers), and spare hard drives you have on hand, and how much you're willing to spend on a new drive for the TiVo and I'll try to walk you through it.