Prodigal Son - Season Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Sep 23, 2019.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    New crime drama on Fox. Tom Payne, Michael Sheen, Bellamy Young, Lou Diamond Phillips, Halston Sage. Payne plays the son of a notorious serial killer (Sheen). He changed his name to escape his dad's stigma, and now works as a profiler. Because as the son of an infamous serial killer, he knows how they think:rolleyes:. Sage is his sister, a TV reporter, and LDP is a NYPD detective who wants to enlist Payne to help him solve murders. Created by Chris Fedak (Chuck), exec produced by Greg Berlanti.

I thought the pilot was ok. Imagine if Criminal Minds married Blacklist and had a baby. Kept my interest for the most part. But I can see losing interest fairly quickly. Interesting cast in part (LDP, MS), but the story will end up being another serial killer/profiler procedural, with the father twist thrown in.

I'll watch another episode before I make a decision. It needs a really strong E2 to keep me.

markymark_ctown likes this.
  2. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I thought it was a ridiculous plot line with VERY bad acting by the lead character. We'll give it one more shot to see if it smooths out, but my initial instinct is that it's just a bad show.

LlamaLarry and markymark_ctown like this.
  3. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I thought it was OK. I don't think the idea is that just because he's the son of a serial killer he knows how they think. They showed that the father spent a lot of time with the son when he was young, showing him all sorts of things. My suspicion is that there will be a lot more to that which is revealed over time (assuming the show survives)... maybe even the son knew more about his father's crimes at the time and has suppressed it (based on the dreams he was having).

I do agree it will be mostly be a standard crime-of-the-week. We'll see if it's worth keeping for other reasons.

4. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    Just watched the premiere...that was pretty bad. Not sure if I’ll continue...

5. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    Watched this mostly because I like Halston Sage.

I'll give this another shot, but I did not like the first ep. Malcom Bright is a dull character that I found difficult, if not impossible, to like. The rest of the cast was not given anything to do that helped draw me in. I confess I actually have to like a character or two when I watch a show. Otherwise viewing is an excruciating grind. And I think that's what this show will be.

markymark_ctown likes this.
  6. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    Didn’t make it through the pilot.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Same here.

8. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Can't believe no-one's made the obvious Hannibal comparison yet!

I'm on the fence, but only because I like Jesus and Michael Sheen. More of the 'Invasion of the Brits'!!

9. The Spud

The Spud Rather be cruising TCF Club

Aug 27, 2002
    Kent, WA
    I set a season pass for pretty much every new network show every year. This one only lasted 5 minutes. Not my kind of show.

10. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    I wanted to like this show, but the lead (totally did not realize that he was Jesus from TWD) is totally killing it for me with his over the top wild bug-eyed, hand twitching, cicada song listening, "Hey, he's a little odd, but he's a top notch profiler" mannerisms.

How the heck did they rope LDP into this and any chance they could have found a mother character that actually looks old enough to have a washed up Harvard grad, ex FBI agent son? Bellamy Young is 49, only 12 years older than Tom Payne, and looks both in real life and on the show even less than that.

I'll give E2 a shot, but I think this show is a goner.

11. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I didn't care for the lead actor at all. I had to force myself to watch the entire episode. I kept looking at my watch to see how much time was left. I won't bother with a second episode.

12. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    eesh, I'm the only one who liked it, but I'm a huge fan of the lead actor from his TWD days.

@LlamaLarry I'm agreeing with you that the actress playing the mom is far too young to be playing his mother believably.

Mikeguy and LlamaLarry like this.
  13. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I liked it too - I thought the first 15 minutes were difficult to get into - somewhere around 15 or 20 minutes in, it clicked over for me and became interesting.

I should mention - I also LOVE Jesus from TWD. It took me a little while to recognize him and then I was happy he got his own show.

I think he is great in this including his weird mannerisms.

14. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Venomous. Not poisonous. Snakes are venomous. Dumb mistake, every writer should know that.

I'm out. This is gonna turn into some big family mystery murder party. It will turn out the wife/mom knew about her husband's/dad's proclivities, maybe even participated. And every case of the week will have a reason for the dad to be involved.

Just not for me.

15. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    Ditto. I just cannot get into this show. And I loves me Halston Sage.

16. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I had no idea this actor is the same guy from TWD. I watched E01 yesterday and I liked it ok so I am keeping it for now. I like Michael Sheen also, so that helps.

17. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    After Episode 2 - I think this would be a much better show if he did just have a case of the week and they got rid of Michael Sheen altogether. First of all - that character is a bore. Second of all - how long are we going to have to suffer through that kid's flashbacks about the lady in the box for crying out loud.

One other thing that annoyed the heck outta me last night...
    Tom Payne is 36 and his mother Bellamy Young is 49. (Just outta curiosity I just checked and Sheen is 50.) I guess they think it works for the flashbacks but Young reads - well - just TOO young to be Payne's Mom. To me.

Joules1111 likes this.
  18. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I never would have recognized Jesus if you guys hadn't told me. I still wasn't sure I was watching the right show. But I did like the second episode way better than the first. It has potential. Don't like the drugs and not sleeping thing, though.

19. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    OK look, it's not terrible, and the acting is good. I'm still watching.

20. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    I feel almost guilty for saying I did get some enjoyment out of the first two eps, and I want to continue watching. It's not great, it is flawed, and I have suspended my disbelief to the rafters like a piñata. I actually like the father character more than the son, or maybe it's just that I like one actor's portrayal more than the other's. Yes, the plot twist with the mother is obviously going to be what we all assume the trope says it will be, but I'm returning to watch how that plays out.