Problems with Tivo Mini after Hydra UI upgrade

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Drydocked, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Nov 8, 2020 #1 of 14
    Drydocked

Drydocked New Member

Sep 11, 2009

Advertisements

I upgraded my Tivo Bolt and one of my Minis to the new UI a couple of days ago, and since then, performance on the Mini has noticeably degraded (Bolt is OK).

1. Cable TV plays OK, but switching channels lags a bit, and the channel guide pauses for a half second when I page up or down.
    2. We've always had to reboot the Mini before trying to use the Amazon Prime app, because of poor streaming performance. The reboot fixes the problem for maybe a day. However, with the new UI we have to reboot a couple of times and/or physically power down the Mini each time before we can run the Amazon Prime app without lagging. And once the Mini rebooted on its own while watching about 45 minutes of a show. That's never happened before.

Any thoughts on how to remedy? Here are the specs:

Tivo Mini Series 4
    Tivo software version: 21.10.1v11-A93-6-A93
    Menu SW version: b-hydra-mira-4-10/2020.09.17-0617
    Client core SW version: b-clientcore-mira-4-10/2020.09.17-0401

2. Nov 9, 2020 #2 of 14
    lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    The A92 and A93 minis are underpowered for Hydra, especially some of the fancier animations. Some are stripped out (guide "jumps" instead of scrolling nicely") but some are still there and just run like crap (bouncing in and out of folders). Not much to be done about it.

krkaufman likes this.
  3. Nov 9, 2020 #3 of 14
    brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Unless there's something in TE4 that you just have to have, go back to TE3. You'll be happier. I've spent a LOT of time troubleshooting TE4 issues and once things get somewhat reliable another update is pushed with a new set of issues.

4. Nov 9, 2020 #4 of 14
    Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Littleton,...
    I have been running TE4 for a couple years on a Bolt Vox and two mini's, a V1 and a V2. The last few software updates have not been kind to my mini's. They lose connection anytime my router reboots or when the Bolt Vox gets new software. Also performance has suffered and it takes forever to delete a recording from the mini's. I reverted to TE3 yesterday and so far the Minis seem very happy. The speed improvement is significantly better!

5. Drydocked

Drydocked New Member

Sep 11, 2009

Advertisements

What's the process to revert to TE3? The upgrade messages said that there's no going back after the upgrade.

6. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Here’s how (but note that YOU WILL LOSE ALL RECORDINGS DURING THE ROLLBACK PROCESS)

How to Rollback Hydra from Roamio and Mini's v1

works for Bolt too (except the Bolt OTA model)

Drydocked likes this.
  7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What @pfiagra said.

Also, the rollback is first performed on the host DVR using the referenced instructions (wiping via factory reset in the process), and Minis will be subsequently prompted for rollback when trying to connect to the now-reverted host DVR.

Drydocked likes this.
  8. Drydocked

Drydocked New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the help!

9. Drydocked

Drydocked New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Sorry, not there yet...

The Bolt has been reverted successfully. The Minis...not so much.

Here is what's happened:
    - I followed the instructions referenced by pfiagra
    - After reverting the Bolt and going thru Guided Setup, I enabled MOCA (no encryption, auto channel, same as before). Bolt is operating as expected.
    - Went out to the Mini, and discovered it was displaying a "Please check your internet connection" screen (picture of a dog chewing on a cable, + a "Try Again" button)
    - Clicking on "Try again" did nothing, Tivo button did nothing, Back, etc. did nothing
    - I rebooted the Mini by removing the power cable. The Mini rebooted into the Hydra interface, the Mini appears to be connected to the Internet because the "recommended for you" tiles appear at the bottom of the screen, then after about 2 minutes, the screen started blinking. After another 30 seconds or so, the "Please check your internet connection" screen mentioned above appears, and the system is locked up like before.
    - I repeated the above a couple of times, thinking it might be caused by some sort of transient related to updating system info, but no luck
    - Unhooked the MOCA cable, and rebooted the Mini, and the system was stable, at least in the sense that the "Please check your internet connection" screen does not reappear. Of course, there is nothing to play because there is no network connection, but I could at least change settings
    - Changed the Mini to use ethernet, and plugged it straight into my router
    - Powered up the Mini, and the same problem happens.
    - Unplugged the ethernet cable and rebooted, the Mini boots into the Hydra interface and is stable.
    - After letting the Mini complete the reboot, I plugged in the ethernet cable. Once the internet connection was established (the thumbnails appear), I went to the Networking section and successfully updated the system information, then was able to watch live TV for a minute or so, then the screen began blinking, and the "Please check your internet connection" screen appeared again, and the Mini is locked up.

Thoughts?

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  12. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I was going to attempt to duplicate the problem, but I don't trust TiVo to fix anything. I even thought of trying to change my A95 to TE3, but I'm not that brave. Without an inside source of information at TiVo, I feel like I did when I lost my Sony DHG boxes. The guide is a joke, but at least I can still live with it. But I feel 2021 is going to cause chaos. We'll know in six weeks.

krkaufman likes this.
  13. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    The pictogram of a dog chewing a cable and mention of "check internet connection" reminds me of a browser when pointed to an invalid page. Googling it isn't helping me but I swear I've seen that before in embedded web-views on other platforms.

First though that came to mind makes me think TiVo's rejiggered their backend and the webpage it relies on for the downgrade app functionality has moved to a new URL and the app can't find it.

krkaufman likes this.
  14. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Littleton,...
    I reverted my Bolt Vox, Mini Vox and Mini V1 on November 8th with no issues. What ever Tivo did must have happened after that date. It may have been before the Mini's received the latest TE4 software update.