Problems with Standby mode

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by prowler, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Jun 5, 2009 #1 of 11
    prowler

prowler New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Solsberry, IN

Advertisements

Help/advice, please.

My DirecTV R10 has been working well since installation in March, 2005. Aside from a mandatory program card change a couple of years ago, the entire system has remained untouched.

In addition to the satellite receiver, I have an analog rooftop antenna which I use to watch a few local channels by switching over to the "standby" mode.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed intermittent static spikes whenever I switched to the "standby" mode. These spikes are there when watching local analog shows or when trying to watch a DVD and switching my TV to channel 3.

As soon as I switch back to digital signal via DirecTV R10, the reception is good with no static interference.

I have other TVs in the house which only receive analog signals via the rooftop antenna and no static interference occurs on any of those units. The problem has been isolated to my main entertainment center where I am connected through the DirecTV R10 receiver. When I switch to the "standby" mode in order to watch anything via channel 3 the intermittent static returns. Although I am not configured to use channel 4 at this time, I notice the static is there on channel 4, as well. (no video, but I do see the static interference on channel 4)

Attempts to fix the problem have been to disconnect interconnecting cables and to reset the R10 by means of the red button. No resolution there by either of those means.

I added the digital converter box to see if that made things better and the intermittent static spikes remain; between the static interference, however, the digital picture is an improvement over the previous analog picture.

2. Jun 5, 2009 #2 of 11
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Why use standby unless you have an "old" TV that only has an RF input? Connect the antenna directly to the TV.

I suspect that the R10 isn't switching completely to standby to pass thru the RF.

3. Jun 5, 2009 #3 of 11
    prowler

prowler New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Solsberry, IN
    Jim - Thanks for the suggestion.

4. jrs.reign

jrs.reign New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Attempts to fix the botheration accept been to abstract abutting cables and to displace the R10 by agency of the red button. No resolution there by either of those means.

I added the agenda advocate box to see if that fabricated things bigger and the alternate changeless spikes remain; amid the changeless interference, however, the agenda account is an advance over the antecedent analog picture.

5. prowler

prowler New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Solsberry, IN

Advertisements

Very well articulated. You're needed in Washington D.C.

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Maybe he's already there?
    He registered today and his other replies are in articulated the same manner. :D

Prowler, what did you end up doing?

7. prowler

prowler New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Solsberry, IN
    Hi Jim - As you mentioned before, the static seems to be associated with the R10s standby mode. It also seems to be [somewhat] weather related in that some days I can watch local broadcasts interference-free. The TV in question is at least 14 years old which now leads me to believe that when I upgrade to a new TV this problem may disappear.

For the time being, my resolution to this problem is to switch back to satellite viewing whenever the static arrives. Great fix, hey?

I do appreciate your interest.

8. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I does sound like there is a problem with the pass thru the DVR to the TV. The obvious solution to many here is to just use a different input on the TV. But, you most likely don't have another input.

You should consider a newer TV as that will give you a better picture from the DVR using s-video instead of RF.

BTW, do you have your converter box in order to receive your OTA?

9. prowler

prowler New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Solsberry, IN
    Hello again, Jim - Just a note to say "AHA!" Problem resolved.

We had the DVR switched to "standby" and watched a DVD last evening with a static-free television. This morning for some reason the static had returned. I finally moved one of my other TVs into position at the main entertainment center and noted trouble-free reception. The old TV was the culprit all along. In hindsight, it all seems to easy to troubleshoot and something that should have been done days ago.

Since the problem had been isolated to the older TV, I checked each connection intently and found that gently touching the Audio Input jacks (red/white) would cause static - even though no cords were in the jacks. There appears to be a "short" somewhere inside behind those jacks that is sensitive enough to respond to temp/humidity changes inside my home. Just guessing of course.

Anyway, the other TV is still working well in the entertainment center for now and responds beautifully. We plan to shop for a new flat screen tomorrow.

I loaded the old tube-type beast into my pickup with some help ... and the local HazMat will charge me $21 to take it off our hands. My wife is thrilled the thing is gone since she always hated the thought of cleaning around it.

Again, I appreciate your interest.

10. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Glad the problem is solved.
    We here on the forum love to hear about war stories.
    And many times it isn't the TiVo that's the problem, as you found out. :)

Now go and enjoy the new TV. :D

11. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    To Idle out both tuners to be available for suggestions for one....