Problems with HD on HR10

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by mtxguy74, Sep 21, 2007.

1. mtxguy74

mtxguy74 New Member

Mar 3, 2006

Advertisements

I am getting intermittent violet scan lines on certain HD channels. Most notably HBO-70 and Discovery HD-76(I think that number is right). Has anyone seen this from their HD Tivo and if so can you guide me to where to look for problems. I don't want to blindly call D* unless I have some idea of what the problem is. I'm kind of hoping it is the HR10 as it would be a great way to grab an HR20 with no committment. I can always pick up another HR10 off ebay.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Oh--still have the old oval dish and two other SD DirecTivos hooked up.

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Are you using component or HDMI to connect to the TV? I have not seen this with my HR10.

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    stevel is implying that you try using the other connection to see if anything changes. :)

4. mtxguy74

mtxguy74 New Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Component connection and HDMI is not an option. I have a 43" Sony projection TV with no HDMI. Sorry about the lag--weekend was crazy.

5. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004

Advertisements

Scan lines (retrace lines) usually indicate a problem with the display, and rarely would indicate a problem with either the source or a digital STB or recorder. It may be more visible from one source to another simply due to the video content at that time.

I would try 480i via composite or S-video to check. Find a frame of black and freeze it, then adjust your brightness/contrast to see if the retrace lines can be made to appear. Verify whether they can be seen with other sources to make sure.

I can't declare definitively that it is a display problem, but I think it would be highly unlikely to be anything other than that, assuming we are really speaking about retrace lines.

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Then what connection are you using?

7. mtxguy74

mtxguy74 New Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Sorry I was quick typing

I meant I am using component and HDMI is not an option

8. mtxguy74

mtxguy74 New Member

Mar 3, 2006
    I was thinking the same thing, but I have my HTPC hooked up through component and never see an issue.

These lines roll through the picture and disappear. They are more prevalent with certain scenes and will sometimes disappear altogether. Kind of like you would see with old analog antenna signals. Always light purple in color.

I would think if it was a display problem I would see it with other sources too.

9. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Now there's a clue.

Retrace lines don't roll. They are very skinny and well-defined, there are usually less than a dozen of them, and they typically angle upward across the top third of the raster at a 25-degree angle or so. If they don't, then I have assumed you are talking about retrace lines, but you really were not.

"Scan lines" usually refers to the actual lines that paint the raster.

Lines that roll through the picture and disappear are usually video hum, and appear as a large, dark, faint-grey fuzzy bar, possibly two, that slowly roll up the screen. That either indicates a failing power supply, or a ground loop. If it's just the HR10, then probably a ground loop. Try plugging both display and Tivo into the same power strip or outlet, and disconnect power and signal to everything else. Try reversing the power plug of one or the other item. If it goes away, try adding the other items back in. You can usually find a combination that works, or identify where the ground loop is coming from.

10. mtxguy74

mtxguy74 New Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Okay--thanks I will see what I can do when I get home tonight.

I was going to run a dedicated circuit to the entertainment area this fall. Would that help as well?