problems with Dish Network

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jvandre, Jan 10, 2006.

1. jvandre

jvandre New Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Is there any way to improve the quality of the picture when using Dish? When viewing the programs through Dish, they are HD quality, but I can't seem to figure out how to get HD quality programming through TiVo. I have an older TiVo box that isn't specifically HD. Also, I can't figure out how to connect it so I can watch something live through Dish while recording on another channel. Before we switched to Dish, I used a splitter on my cable and it worked great. Now, I am not sure how to do it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Only one HD TiVo currently exists and it's only for DirecTV. To watch two different things on Dish, you'll need two Dish receivers or a receiver that can two two channels at once and display them on different outputs.

3. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    You have to get another STB if you want to record and watch different shows at the same time. You can't just split a satellite signal like cable and there are no analog channels.
    The image quality of satellite channels vary wildly. I always found that locals and non-premium content were always overcompressed. HBO and other premium channels tended to be better.

My advice would be to switch to DirecTV and get a DirecTV receiver with Tivo. It has two tuners and records the digital bitstream directly so there is no loss in quality.

Also, I don't think you know what HD quality is unless you are specifically reffering to HD channels on DISH. The digital satellite services have nice quality, sometimes, but their standard fair isn't close to HD quality.
    If you really want to record HD material on DISH you should get the DISH Player DVR, your only option.