Problems with a new Roamio Pro

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Ivomir, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Ivomir

Ivomir New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Hey, guys

I just got a new Roamio Pro to replace my aging S3. I am seeing some glitches:
    The remote sometimes misses keys when in RF mode. In IR mode it works fine, but of course requires LOS. I suspect the RF is done on the CPU and is can be unresponsive when the CPU is busy.

Sometimes the sound effects don’t work. For example, I pause a program, hit guide -> there are sounds. Then I resume, pause again, hit guide -> no sounds. On one occasion I even had the Now Playing list have no sounds, but I couldn’t make it happen again. I know sound effects are incompatible with surround sound, but they should work when the playback is paused – which is true most of the time but not always.

QuickMode turns off surround sound and goes back to plain stereo.

Can anyone confirm what I’m seeing? I want to determine if these are known problems and not a defect in my unit.

Thanks
    Ivo

2. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Could something causing interference on that RF channel?

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I believe the preview window will keep it in Dolby mode in the guide (and even My Shows if you have it enabled there). Has your Roamio upgraded to the latest software yet (20.5.6)? With the latest update, you'll find that you won't have the sound effects in the HD menus most of the times but will have them in the few SD menus. I think this was related to trying to eliminate/reduce a dropout in the preview window when bringing up My Shows.

Scott

4. heifer624

heifer624 Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Florida's...
    If you go to the Settings>System Info screen and scroll a couple frames it will tell you what the battery strength is in your RF remote. Although I don't know how accurate it is :confused:

5. Ivomir

Ivomir New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Yes, I am on 20.5.6.
    If you are using Dolby mode, do you mind trying to the following experiment? Tune to a new channel for the current tuner - basically select a channel that is not currently on any tuner.
    Press Pause. Press Guide. Check if you have sound effects when going up and down the list (I have sounds). While the guide is still open, press Pause to resume the program, let it play for a second, then press Pause again to stop it. Try using the guide and check for sounds again (I don't have sounds).

It shows 100%. I tried 2 sets of batteries, including the one that came new with the Tivo. I am also sitting at about 10 feet, with no obstacles in the way.
    The behavior I'm seeing is that when the RF command fails, the remote flashes red instead of amber. My explanation is that the remote fails to establish a connection and falls back to IR. And it happens mostly during information-intensive screens, like the Todo List and the Guide. That's why I suspect it is related to how busy the Tivo is.

6. Jay2tak

Jay2tak Member

Jun 10, 2009
    The remote on my new Pro had to be reset. Did you try that?

7. Ivomir

Ivomir New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    How do you reset the remote?

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have never seen a red LED on my remote. The battery power indication seems to be accurate, but with Lithium batteries it tends to go down quickly. I am a heavy user and my batteries were 100% for 10 months, but then dropped to dead in a week.

I agree with the "iffy" operation in RF mode, but do not believe it drops back to IR. In fact, I have my Roamio's front blocked with flat black painted cardboard. I have it controlling my TV and AVR, so I know the IR gets out even though the LED is always amber. I had a hole to observe the amber LED on the Roamio. I would sometimes not get an activity indication when hitting up or down, which seems to put the blame on the remote, but that can't be proven. Did the remote fail to send or did the Roamio fail to receive?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  9. Ivomir

Ivomir New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Thanks, Jay2tak, I will do a full reset and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks, Joe. What you describe is the same as the behavior I'm seeing, except that when the problem happens, the remote light (not the circle on the Tivo) flashes red instead of amber.
    Basically - 1) If I cover the remote with my hand, when it misses a button, the remote flashes red, the Tivo circle doesn't show, and nothing happens. 2) If I point the remote forward, when it misses a button, the remote flashes red, the Tivo circle flashes amber, and the action is accepted.
    Since you have the IR receiver blocked, you won't get the second case. Maybe the fallback to IR is a new feature you don't have - I just got my box last week directly from Tivo. Or maybe you just haven't noticed, since you have to be looking at the remote at the exact moment the command fails, which is itself rare.
    Anyway, since you are also getting missed clicks, it means there's nothing defective with my hardware and it's just a bug.

It is just annoying - since the remote doesn't work reliably, I need the sound feedback. But the sounds don't always work in Dolby mode :(. The two problems "complement" each other nicely :).

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Quite. However, the audio effects never work when DD is enabled and there is video showing. Part of the way TiVo saves money. A good example is changing Video Providers. Since it has a video window, no sound effect.

11. snedecor

snedecor Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Angleton, TX
    I think its more that it takes a second to decode the Dolby Digital and the sound effect is lost during the second it takes to lock in on DD...

12. GoodSpike

GoodSpike Active Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Also, synchronization of audio/video is somewhat problematic, so why make it more so just for some silly sound effects?

13. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    No sound effects here either the first time or the second time. One difference could be that I'm using Toslink for the audio connection and component for the video connection as my receiver is an older Onkyo without HDMI connections.

I don't think I mentioned it but I haven't had any issues with the remote but we have the Slide Remote.

Scott