Problems moving to new computer

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by TomMMD, Jul 20, 2009.

1. TomMMD

TomMMD Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Gaithersburg...

Advertisements

My Tivo was working on my old XP-based computer but I when I moved to a new Vista-based machine and installed Tivo I first got a message saying I needed to install Quicktime.

I did that (although that was not easy) I now get a message saying

"Error 2048 - Couldn't open the file ----.tivo because it is not a file that Quicktime understands"

I have Version 2.7

2. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    What did you view it on before, windows media player?

try opening it in that

3. TomMMD

TomMMD Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Gaithersburg...
    I don't remember what I watched it on. I just clicked the play icon and something opened up.

I went to Windows Media Player and after changing to the old layout (with File Open) I was able to watch it. Looks really good on my 23 in HD monitor..

4. mk678

mk678 New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    For that I think you have to open your file in either in Real player or in Windows Media player .these setups can play any file without converting the original format of file.
    I hope it will work for you.

5. TomMMD

TomMMD Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Gaithersburg...

Advertisements

O.k...I used to be able to do it directly but I can live with this.

I can use the Media Center app on the computer and it shows up there and does play o.k.

6. wdpower

wdpower New Member

May 22, 2005
    West Palm Beach
    Sorry to hijack the tread, but on the line of a new pc, do you have to rebuy the desktop app. I thought I could reactivate it but everything wants me to pay for it again.

-Bill

7. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    Just install TiVo Desktop and use the original key that you purchased. It should be fine.