Problems decrypting a few TiVo files

Discussion in 'Developers Corner' started by morac, Apr 28, 2021.

1. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ

Advertisements

I'm not sure why I never converted my old TiVo files to MPG, but I didn't. I no longer have a Windows computer. I now have a M1 Mac as such I used tivo-libre to convert my TiVo files to mpg. That worked for almost all of them with a handful of exceptions. The error I got for all of these is:

I also tried to use tivodecode-ng which I compiled for the M1, but that failed with:
    As a last ditch effort, I installed Windows 10 ARM64 under Parallels, but that was a lost cause as I couldn't play any TiVo file in that. I'm guessing because TiVo Desktop isn't compatible with ARM, though Windows 10 ARM64 is supposed to support 32-bit intel apps. Even if I got TiVo Desktop working, the Directshow Dump installer fails because it requires .Net 1.x which isn't available.

Is there anything I can do to decrypt these files?

Edit:

I think I have an old Windows XP laptop with TiVo Desktop on it. Maybe that will work, but I don't even know if it will boot up.

2. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Chances are it won't work - I'm guessing the .tivo file is corrupted, which sometimes happens with the transfer. If the recordings still exist, transfer them again - it's been known that sometimes the transfer will fail.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    FYI pyTivo Desktop includes the same TiVo DirectShow filter that TiVo Desktop does. If you install that you can use VideoReDo to decrypt the file. (use the free trial) Or you can try to hunt down a copy of the old DirectShow Dump program which also uses that filter.

4. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I'll mention this since I tried to install pyTiVo on my new MacBook Air 2020 M1 recently. The installer doesn't work on that model. I'm not sure why since Rosetta 2 is supposed to translate any intel executables to M1, but it gave me an unexecutable error, even after allowing it to run.

5. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

Yeah I just got an M1 Mini and tested it with the same result. Unfortunately my whole Mac build system is old and wont even run on BigSur, so I don’t think I'll even be able to upgrade it without a significant amount of work. :(

That's the problem with using these web technologies like Angular and Electron they're constantly being upgraded and if you don’t stat on top of it you can fall so far behind it's almost impossible to catch back up without many many hours of work.

6. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Yeah, though with open source programs at least they can be upgraded. I actually ran into the same can’t execute problem with kmttg, but since the source code was available, I just downloaded and recompiled a M1 compatible version. I did have to comment out a few lines that required Oracle Java, but that didn’t seem to cause any major impacts. I also compiled Tivo decode.

7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Are you mac only?

8. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    At the moment yes. Though this is my first mac.

9. McGee

McGee New Member

Jun 4, 2020
    USA, New York.
    I think it's a great reason for developing a custom app mlsdev.com/services/custom-software-development. The biggest disadvantage of hiring professionals from off-the-shelf software companies is that it might cost you more in the long run. Although a good software development company can definitely deliver quality applications, the costs are bound to rise over time. After all, you are paying for the software developer's experience and skills rather than the actual application itself. In addition, the majority of software development companies have the same licensing schemes, so you will end up paying for software that you might not even need in the future. For these reasons, it is important to make sure you know exactly what you want before hiring any developer.

Last edited: May 17, 2021