Problems converting/transferring PC -> DVR -- Interesting test results/observations.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Christoph23, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Christoph23

Christoph23 New Member

Oct 24, 2005
    In trying (in vain it seems) to convert my home movies for transfer to my DVR, I'm been running up against various problems, the bulk of which I've detailed in previous threads. If you guys could take a look at those threads and help me out, it would be most appreciated.

Anyway, here are some of the odd things I've seen/done/experienced through my trials:

* I transferred one of my recorded shows from my DVR to my PC to test transfer in that direction. The file transferred fine and am able to play it (using Windows Media Player) on that PC if it has the .tivo extension. However, with that extension, I'm not able to open it up in AVICodec (w/o AVICodec erroring out and crashing) to see what codecs it's using. If I rename it to have a .mpg extension, I am able to open it up fine in AVICodec but then I am unable to play it using WMP. If I try, there is alot of flickering on a mostly green screen.

* I transferred the above file from the PC to my DVR to test transfer in that direction. I wanted to rule out my connection as the problem. If the file had a .tivo extension, I was able to transfer the file no problem and play it again on the DVR once the transfer was complete. But if I renamed the file to have a .mpg extension, the DVR failed to transfer the file and gave the following as the reason:

"This program was not transferred onto this DVR because it was not found on [My Server Name]"

Huh? That seems very wierd. I can see it on my server in the "Now Playing List". I can select it to begin transferring. But when it actually starts the transfer, it suddenly cannot find it?

* After I converted one of my home movies using WinAVI (using as many of the settings specified in the TiVo kb article tv251080 - "Transferring Personal Video from PC to TiVo DVR" as WinAVI would allow me to define, which wasn't many), I used AVICodec to compare the audio/video codecs that were used during the conversion of my video and the codecs that were used by the TiVo. Using AVICodec, the file TiVo recorded (and I subsequently transferred to my PC) is showing the following codec information:

File: 619 MB (619 MB), duration: 0:00:00, type: DSH, 1 audio stream(s), quality 72%
    Video: 578 MB, 0 Kbps, 0.0 fps, 0*0 (), =InterVideo Video, Supported
    Audio: 41 MB, 192 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 0x50 = Mpeg-1 audio Layer 1, Supported

The file I converted is showing the following codec information:

File: 432 MB (1.40 GB), duration: 0:21:56, type: MPG, 1 audio stream(s), quality 78%
    Video: 1.38 GB, 9000 kbps, 29.970 fps, 544*480 (16:9), MPG2 = MPEG 2 (SVCD/DVD), Supported
    Audio: 20 MB, 128 Kbps, 44100 Hz, 2 channels, 0x51 = Mpeg-1 audio Layer 2 (0xc0), Supported

Now, much of the above is greek to me, but what does strike me as odd is the lack of information showing up in the "Video:" section of the TiVo originated file. No resolution? No fps? And the InterVideo codec? Not MPEG-2?

I'd be interested to see what AVICodec is reporting for everyone else who has successfully been able to convert videos and transfer them to the DVR for play.

Anyway, all of the above seemed fairly weird to me and I thought perhaps someone out there might know what all of this means.

thnx,
    Christoph

2. buckyswider

buckyswider Member

Aug 31, 2003
    Bump. I'm having this issue encountered by Christoph on EVERY non-tivo file I try to play from my PC. All params are within specs as defined by tivo....and yes, the files are there :) , so I'm not sure what's going on....anybody? Christoph, did you have any luck???