problems connecting a Toshiba SD-400 . . .

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by smharris532, Apr 29, 2007.

1. smharris532

smharris532 New Member

Apr 28, 2007

Advertisements

Hi I am new to this forum. I have had a Tivo series 2 since 2004. Between now and then I had went with dish network and didn't have a use for it but I held on to it, but I went back to TWC and am trying to get it back up and running. I found that I couldn't complete the guided set-up my connection was failing while negotiating, so I took it to a relatives house and tried their phone line and had the same deal my conclusion is that the modem must have fried some how? To complicate matters I have also switched to Digital Phone (VOIP), and have since learned that it can be difficult to make work with TIVO. Since I thought the modem wight be bad I picked up a wireless USB TIVO adapter to try and connect to my home network and through this forum I saw the ,#401 backdoor hoping that would work but it isn't. I am not sure what ver. probably 3.?? and I can't get through the guided set-up to download updates or to configure the wirelss set-up. I guess what I am asking am I missing anything or anyone have any ideas as how I might be able to make this work including making the wireless work or connecting to the (VOIP) if I can determine the modem is not bad. I guess I should say it worked like a charm before I took it out of service and when I tried to put it back in it didn't and at the time I had the same phone line didn't switch to (VOIP) until after I intially tried to get it working. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give enough detail on my situation to help.

Thanks,

Steve Harris

2. smharris532

smharris532 New Member

Apr 28, 2007
    I thought I would go ahead and answer my own question in case it helsp anyone else. All this information I found on this forum or others:

1) A wireless adapter of any type won't work unless you have software ver. 7.1 or above.

2) The wired adapter are finicky as well. I was running ver. 5.? and could not get a Linksys 200m to work (which is what is primarily in the stores). I did find at Office Max a Linksys 100m which worked like a charm for around $29.00. Plugged right into my router and used the ,#401 code that is discussed. I did have to go back to the Demo Mode to reset all the settings I had tried before it worked (why they don't have another avenue to reset the settting I don't know).

3) Once it got connected I was able to call tivo and upgrade my software it went up to like 8.? and the Tivo wireless adapter works great.

So even though no one responded to my post. I was able to figure it out thanks in large part to the people on this board.

Thanks,

Steve Harris

3. whppdhubby

whppdhubby New Member

May 7, 2007
    take the unit to someones land line and down load the 8.3 update! i had the exact same problem, even with digital phone. it worked for months then started in. i have the same unit etc.
    i find it interesting that no where on the box or instructions it mentions that you cant use digital..........or when i signed up with twc. (they said it was just like my existing service!)
    also odd it is happening on the "free basic" units.
    after i download 8.3 from a landline it works so-so i get the program info about every third attempt without the dreaded "phone interrupted" prompt!