Problem with Series 3 Tuner?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by edubbrulez, Oct 19, 2011.

1. edubbrulez

edubbrulez Member

Mar 4, 2004
    SE, PA
    I have a Series 3 (TCD648250B) that I'm having what I believe to be a tuner issue. I have two Single stream cable cards installed. I'm seeing random pixelation and audio drop outs.

I've verified the harddrive is good by running an "overnight automated test" via Kickstart 54. I followed the instructions here: http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-hd-tests.php

When I go into Messages & Settings->Account & System Information->DVR Diagnostics, I see that "Tuner 1" is having issues:

Signal Strength: Less than 80
    SNR: 33-34dB
    RS Uncorrected: Climbing
    RS Corrected: Climbing

Conversely, Here are the details for "Tuner 0":

Signal Strength: 95-100
    SNR: 35dB
    RS Uncorrected: 0
    RS Corrected: 0

Any thoughts on what I can do?

Thanks in advance,

Erik

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Maybe switch the cable cards to see if the problem stays with the one tuner or if it carries over to the other. This could rule out a cable card problem.

3. edubbrulez

edubbrulez Member

Mar 4, 2004
    SE, PA
    Does swapping the cable cards cause the pairing information to be lost?

4. expmag

expmag RehobothJeff

Dec 12, 2004
    Rehoboth...
    I am in Rehoboth Beach, DE, and the same thing seems to be happening to my Series 3 using two single stream cards on Comcast Cable. I have random audio drop offs (seems to be more on Showtime) as well as random pixelation. My Elite does not have the problem.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Examine your power supplies for capacitor disease.

6. edubbrulez

edubbrulez Member

Mar 4, 2004
    SE, PA
    I don't see anything in the troubleshooting guides that I've found that suggests that the power supply is going bad. What's your logic behind that?

7. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    There's at least one model of DirecTiVo famous for having one of its tuners give trouble because of failure of a particular capacitor in the power supply.

The S3s are old enough to start having problems from power supply capacitors.

Flaky, borderline power supplies can cause all sorts of weird, intermittent problems.

I'm not guaranteeing the power supply is the culprit, but anyone who owns consumer electronics, including computers, should familiarize themselves with the epidemic of capacitor disease.

I'm looking at a 17" HP LCD monitor right now someone left out for the garbage pickup. I replaced a few capacitors in the power supply (for a lot less money than the cost of a monitor) and now have an almost free monitor.

Go to badcaps.net and lcdalternatives and educate yourselves.

8. edubbrulez

edubbrulez Member

Mar 4, 2004
    SE, PA
    Thanks. I'll have a look at the power supply later today and see if there are any blown or leaking capacitors.

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Educate yourself first on what to look for, 'cause it can be nothing more than a very slight "dome-ing".

10. edubbrulez

edubbrulez Member

Mar 4, 2004
    SE, PA
    Okay thanks. I think I'll take some pictures and post them here as well.

11. edubbrulez

edubbrulez Member

Mar 4, 2004
    SE, PA
    Capacitors look fine to me. I didn't see any doming at the top and no blowout at the bottom.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whomever did the white "glue" did a pretty sloppy job though ;)

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The glue ain't there to be pretty, just to hold stuff in place.

Nice pictures, by the way.

Take one more look at the bottoms of the caps to make sure you don't see any bulge at all in the plugs, but they're probably alright, although the problem could still be the power supply being a little marginal, just not in a way that's visible without expensive test equipment.

Sorry we couldn't find you a cheap, easy fix.

13. edubbrulez

edubbrulez Member

Mar 4, 2004
    SE, PA
    I took another look and I still didn't find anything.

So what are my alternatives here? I talked with a Tivo rep and she said it would be $149 for a replacement box PLUS $199 to transfer my lifetime service to it. That seems a little expensive to me.

Erik

14. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    I thought if Tivo repaired/replaced your box with the same model that there was no charge to move lifetime service to the repaired/replaced box. If the box coudln't be fixed and you had to buy a new box, then you were out the lifetime service and had to buy it again.

What am I misunderstanding?

15. edubbrulez

edubbrulez Member

Mar 4, 2004
    SE, PA
    I don't know. I was surprised to learn there was an additional charge to move the lifetime service on a now partially defective box.

I guess I should have kept the chat transcript. Should I try again with them?

16. mwacosta

mwacosta New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Do you by any chance have a coax splitter between your TiVo and the wall outlet? I have a Series 3 and I was getting really bad pixelation on one tuner with certain channels. I think it was on premium channels like Showtime, HBO, etc. When I removed the splitter, the problem went away.

I guess the splitter degraded the signal enough to cause the problem though I don't know why it isolated to only one tuner. If you have one it might be worth a shot to remove it and see what happens.

17. pig_man

pig_man Member

Jun 4, 2009
    If it's been over three years since you purchased lifetime service then you have to pay the transfer fee. Within the three year window there is no transfer fee.

18. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    This time the pictures loaded full size before down-rezzing.

Are any of those capacitors CapXon brand?

19. edubbrulez

edubbrulez Member

Mar 4, 2004
    SE, PA
    There isn't a splitter between the outlet and the Tivo. There is one in the basement that divides the signal from the street through the house.

I would have thought that the signal strength would have been weak on both tuners though. I guess I could try swapping it out.

FWIW - I have another Tivo in the house that is connected to the same splitter. It's a Tivo HD, not a Series 3, but it doesn't have a problem.

20. edubbrulez

edubbrulez Member

Mar 4, 2004
    SE, PA
    Oh that explains it. Good to know.

Thanks for the info.