Problem with 'Season Pass" & "TiVo Suggestions"

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by GoldenWhiner, Apr 19, 2010.

1. GoldenWhiner

GoldenWhiner New Member

Apr 19, 2010

Advertisements

I just had an unusual problem with my new TiVo Premier XL unit. I am an avid NBA Basketball fan, and I wanted to record all of the NBA playoff games this past weekend. (That's the prime reason that I upgraded to the XL as soon as it was available.) So I set Season Passes for "NBA Basketball" for both the ESPN and TNT channels. Then I realized today that the first playoff game from yesterday (Saturday, April 17) was NOT recorded---and I was NOT a 'happy camper' for missing this game. After some checking, I found that this particular game was shown on ABC (or as they call it: 'ESPN on ABC'). So apparently, TiVo does not recognize that ESPN shows some of its games on ABC. This seems like a very simple things that TiVo should easily recognize. Why isn't this done?

Then I thought that this game might have been recorded under "TiVo Suggestions" since I had already recorded many NBA games and given them all '3 thumbs up'. But again I was greatly disappointed that this game had not been recorded there either. Instead, "TiVo Suggestions" had recorded a golf match for my 'viewing pleasure'. Why this was selected is beyond me since I have absolutely NO interest in watching golf matches and had never previously viewed or recorded one. So I am thoroughly confused at what criteria "TiVo Suggestions" uses to select programs for my possible use. Obviously, they don't seem to take into account my personal likes and dislikes. So can anyone suggest what I can do to get "TiVo Suggestions" to be more responsive to my preferences?

2. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Season Passes are tied to specific channels. So no, it wouldn't record a game on ABC based on your other season passes regardless of ESPN's involvement.

If you want to record programs that may appear on multiple channels you're better off creating an auto-recording Wish List.

Suggestions? Those are a mystery to me even after 10 years. :)

3. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Season passes are channel specific, as indicated above. When you want to record something from multiple channels, you use a wishlist.

Cancel those NBA basketball season passes and create a NBA PLAYOFF wishlist as described under #6L in the TiVo Tips post.

Be sure to uncheck the SD versions of your HD channels under Settings -> Channels -> Channel List so the wishlist always records HD versions when available. Using the HD category is not a good idea, because some channels like ESPN don't flag their high-definition content as HD.

4. GoldenWhiner

GoldenWhiner New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions on using the auto wishlists. I had never tried using this process before, but I will give it a try now. However, I still don't understand why the "TiVo Suggestions" capability recorded a golf match instead of the basketball game for me during the past weekend. Based on this experience, I conclude that the "TiVo Suggestions" capability is just not worth using!

5. Monty2_2001

Monty2_2001 New Member

Aug 5, 2005

Advertisements

It takes time for the suggestions to really get accurate. A few weeks or so. Be sure to use more positive feedback on shows than negative. Over time you should be pretty pleased with the suggestions, it's my favorite feature!

6. global_dev

global_dev Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Northern VA
    I have little experience with suggestions, but my thought was that suggestions would be less of exactly what you want, but more stuff that was like what you want but didn't know you wanted and never recorded.

7. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    It seems to be a mix. But it does appear to try to grab thing it thinks are related to your thumbs up shows.

So at some level the algorthm probably sees Sports/Basketball as not dissimilar to Sports/Golf. (But give the golf a thumbs down and it should hopefully get the hint that you don't like that sport).

This also seems to be why many TiVos seem to go through a Spanish phase. Many shows with a Spanish SAP track being tagged as catagory: Spanish and a lot more thumbs up than thumbs down (from setting up new season passes) must make that catagory appear to be highly rated and the TiVo starts recording Spanish shows. :rolleyes:

8. puckettcg

puckettcg New Member

Feb 10, 2006
    I checked my suggestion list for my Premier XL unit and was shocked to see several pages of recommendations in spanish. I do not nor have I ever watched a show in Spanish and I certainly never hit the thumbs up on any spanish broadcast - I don't have any idea why Tivo would have had those in the suggestions. I tripled thumbs-downed all of them and it cleared them out. Then I checked my other Tivo and found a handful of them. This has never happened on my other Tivos but I guess there must be something with the spanish SAP track tag.

9. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Just keep doing what you did. Eventually it'll be more accurate. The Tivo bases the suggestions on more than just 'golf' or 'spanish'. It may be a category like sports or a movie category like Action. It also takes into account, I believe, actors, etc.