Problem with screen going black on Tivo with Sony Receiver

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by atomarchio, Nov 18, 2011.

1. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I am using Tivo Premiere with Sony Receiver (DA3500ES) and have regular issues where the screen just goes black.

I can't tell if the problem is the Tivo or the recevier or both.

There are times when rebooting the Tivo fixes the problem and gets the screen back again. There are times when switching the input on the receiver from HDMI1 to HDMI2 back to HDMI1 solves the problem.

Any idea on how I can figure out the problem? I was having issues with this receiver and Sony did repair the receiver under warranty.

However, I am hesitant to go back to Sony to fix the receiver again because it will be probably be working when I take it to the repair center.

Is there some kind of issue with Sony Receivers and Tivo that I am not aware of?

If I should buy a new receiver, is there a particular brand/model to buy?

Please let me know. Thanks.

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Does that Sony have component video inputs? (the red, green, blue RCA jack setup)

Try it that way for a while, and see if you don't come to the conclusion that HDMI/HDCP is an invention of Satan.

3. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I am thinking of switching to a different brand but have not idea if what will actually solve me problem.

Perhaps I bought a particular bad unit but for almost 1K that seems rediculous.

4. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    I have the Sony DA5500ES and I am using HDMI and have not experienced a black screen issue. Have you tried another HDMI cable? If you are using HDMI between the receiver and the TV, swap that cable and see if it helps. As unitron suggests, try component cables.

Do you have a DVD player or other components connected through the Sony? Do they have issues?

5. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    That has me thinking. I am running an HDMI over Cat5 setup abut 40' feet.

It happened again yesterday after this post.

The screen goes black. Then my IR repeater red light stays on which I know is also another sign of a problem.

Sometimes switching inputs on the receiver from HDMI1 to HDMI2 back to HDMI1 solves the problem. Less than 50% of the time.

The thing that always seems to work is rebooting Tivo. Why is that?

I purchased an expensive Sony receiver to avoid these kinds of issues. And I am hesitant to purchase another receiver if that's not the problem.

Any ideas on where I should start? Replacing the HDMI cable has not solved anything.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Try replacing the HDMI with component cables, if only temporarily to see if the problem clears up or persists.

I strongly suspect the problem is neither the TiVo nor the Sony nor your television/video monitor per se, but HDMI in general, especially the HDCP aspect of it, where all the components have to keep asking each other if you really have permission to view what you're trying to watch.

7. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I have an idea here.

What if i just turn off the control/sync feature that turns of the receiver when the tv is powered down?

I am trying this now and noticing that the TV comes on faster. I believe the black screen problem occurs when I attempt to turn the TV back on in the morning and there is some issue with restarting the receiver.

Is there any drawback to doing this? Do most Tivo users with an HDMI receiver just leave their receiver on all of the time anyways? Perhaps I should have been doing this earlier.

Please let me know. Thanks.

8. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    My Sony receiver is never left on.

9. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Just realized I can't leave it on.

Otherwise, the sound will continue playing out of my speakers even after I turn off the TV.

Is there any way to resolve this?

Or should I go back to old way of turning off receiver with TV each time?

10. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    Unitron suggested twice that you try component cables in place of the HDMI to see if you still have the black screen problem. Have you tried component?

Another option is to run the HDMI from the TIVO direct to the TV and use Toslink (optical) from the TIVO to the receiver for sound.

If you use the receiver each time you use the TV, you can try plugging the TV into the outlet on the rear of the 3500 so in essence the receiver powers up the TV.

The 3500 is a pretty good receiver. Before you replace it or send it beck for repair, you need to try all options. Keep plugging away!!

11. ultrajones

ultrajones Thread Killer

Oct 6, 2002
    I have experienced simliar issues with my Pioneer VSX-1121-K. The screen goes black and I have to either reboot the Tivo or power cycle the Pioneer receiver to get it working again.

Regards,
    Ultrajones

12. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    How did you resolve or have you resolved other than rebooting each time?

13. rcobourn

rcobourn Registered Snoozer

Nov 10, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    Which software version are you using? I've had this happen twice with my Sony receiver after receiving the 20.2 update. Changing inputs seems to get it back for me.

14. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I am not sure what version of software I have on my STR-DA3500ES receiver. How would I check that?

And yes changing inputs usually works but not all of the time. So the issue is strictly the receiver, then? Any ideas on how to resolve this?

15. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I have an Onkyo receiver that the Tivo remote can not turn off or on. I leave the receiver on all the time but when I turn the TV off I press the mute button and turn the sound off from the receiver also. There is another post that is similar to this one where I discribed a problem with the HDMI output of my Tivo and cable box. It just seems strange that all of a sudden a lot of people are posting similar posts. I thought it might have been a Tivo problem until my cable box started doing the same thing.
    What we may have to do is see if each persons problem has a common cause. I am with Comcast, perhaps they have started doing some thing with their signal.