Problem with sats -- what could be wrong?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by toomuchtivo, Sep 4, 2008.

1. toomuchtivo

toomuchtivo New Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

I just reconfigured my four-receiver system (two Directivos, two HR20s), moving one of the Directivos from one place in the house to another. Set it up with just one sat input in the interest of time, and everything worked. Last night I added the second input, and also called Directv to change my package. Now I am not getting a sat signal on the unit I moved, and also not getting one on the other Directivo. (The unit I moved says 'no sat' and the other stalls out at 96% in sat acquisition... the screen just sits there showing 96%.) I am getting signals on both HR20s. I have doublechecked all the cables from the the multiswitch to the the boxes and they SEEM to be fine.

So....

Should I assume that because I am getting signals on both HR20s that the problem is not from the sat or any of the cables from the sat to the multiswitch? And that the problem must be in the cabling from the multiswitch to the Directivos?

I can't imagine under what circumstance a Directv programming change would cause problems, but if I'm wrong, let me know.

Any troubleshooting advice you can give me?

Thanks much.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    To eliminate the multiswitch as the problem, bypass it with a pair of barrel connectors to one of the DirecTV TiVos.

Are both tuners not getting the signal? Try swapping the inputs.
    It's possible that with the move that the cable connections are loose.

BTW, what switch and multiswitch do you have?
    I'll assume that you have a version of the 5LNB and the SW68 switch.

3. toomuchtivo

toomuchtivo New Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Thanks, Jim. I am not home so can't tell you specifically the dish/multiswitch, but Directv put them in last year when I switched to the HR20s. There are four cables that come from the dish to the multiswitch.

Previously the Directvs were only getting a feed to one tuner each. The one I moved worked fine until I added a second cable, but even disconnecting that it will still not work. I can't rule out a problem somewhere between the multiswitch and the Directivo, maybe the cable got twisted or cut as I nailed it up, but I don't think so -- what seems odd is that the other Directivo is now not working either, and I did nothing with that one (although that one had not been used for a time and it is possible the trouble existed previously, but I don't think so).

If I bypass the multiswitch, does it matter which cables from the dish I need into a barrel connector?

Thanks again.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Any cable directly from the dish will work.

Move one of the HR20s to the DirecTV Tivos location and see what happens.

I also assume that when you added the second cable, you ran it from the multiswitch, right?

5. toomuchtivo

toomuchtivo New Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

Thanks, Jim.

Yes, the new cable is from the multiswitch.

6. toomuchtivo

toomuchtivo New Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Minneapolis
    I have done everything I can think of doing, and have to conclude that there is a problem with the Directivos, or at least in how Directv is "relating" to them.

I called Directv and they said there should be no impact on the Directivos when a programming package is changed. Their suggestions were normal -- reset, etc. I had already done that.

So I moved both Directivos to the basement by the multiswitch. Tried a new cable from MS to both units, neither would work. Tried running the cable from the MS outputs that are working with the HR20s, neither would work. Moved the HR20 cables to the MS outputs previously used with the HR20s, and the HR20s worked just fine.

Then, I made a connection to the Directivos straight from the dish, no MS involved. Exact same problem.

What I get is a stall at the acquiring sat stage. The Directivos are different models (Philips 704 and 6000). One stops at 96% acquiring, the other lets me go through the setup steps but then stops at a "please wait" screen when it is trying to acquire sat signal.

So I am at a loss now. How could a programming package change seemingly hose both these units??????

7. toomuchtivo

toomuchtivo New Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Well, here for better or worse is the end of the story...

Directv offered to send a service guy out in 10 days, for a cost of $80. "They will get it working," they said. I said here is what I want to do -- go to Best Buy, get an R22 and see if that works. If it does, then I will get a second, and I want a $200 credit. After much haranging, they agreed. So I picked up an R2, plugged it in and it worked just fine. Why the Directivos stopped after the programming upgrade, and why the R22 works and the Directivo doesn't, I'll probably never know.

The sad part is that now, for the first time since 2001, I will not have a Tivo operating in my home. The H20s aren't as bad as I thought, but still.... I have been as loyal to Tivo as a Directv customer can be, and wish it were not so.
    But, I take solace in that I still pay a Tivo bill -- I bought a standalone unit for my daughter in college and I pay for it -- and hopefully by the end of 2008 we will have those new Directivo units...

8. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Make that the end of 2009. :(

9. toomuchtivo

toomuchtivo New Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Ooops... I knew that....