Problem with s-Video vs. RCA

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TeddyT, Dec 22, 2005.

1. TeddyT

TeddyT New Member

Jan 26, 2003
    Sherman...
    If anyone can help I would be much appreciative. I can't get a signal when I use the S-video cables connecting the satellite receiver to the Tivo (Toshiba DVD-recorder), but I get a signal when I connect using the RCA jacks. I'd much rather use the S-video cables because of the quality.

Can anyone think of why tis is working with the RCA jacks but not the S-video?

Thanks!

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I believe you need to select that you will be using the s-video connection during the setup of the TiVo.

3. TeddyT

TeddyT New Member

Jan 26, 2003
    Sherman...
    Really? I didn't see that option when I recently repeated guided setup. Any idea where I might find that?

Thanks!

4. Quevar

Quevar New Member

Jan 14, 2005
    Evanston, IL
    Hook up your S-video cable and go to:
    Messages and setup: setup: video: video hookup

When it asks you if you can see video, say no and follow the steps it has.

5. OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    AS far as I know there is no seperate selection for svideo. Both the RCA and svideo are always on on all my TiVos.

As far as the problem: Assuming a good svideo cable I woud say that the problem is at the other end. That is you must select the svideo input for the video recorder so it can use that input.

6. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I can believe this for outputs but I think the OP was discussing the TiVo inputs.

7. Narkul

Narkul Active Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Check the pins on that cable. They bend so easily. Try replacing it even if it looks fine.

Some dvd players have a selector switch on the back near the hookups that allow you to choose beween s-video or component video. Occasionally this option is somewhere in the players menu. Not sure if this applies to TiVo DVD units.

8. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    With 7.2 SW, we have the inputs set to autodetect a video signal. If more than one input is being used for a single source, the menus will ask you to choose. Otherwise, if you're not getting video and only the s-video cable is connected, check to make sure that the cable is snug on both ends and that no pins are bent or broken off (check the connectors on both the DVR and the set top box). If you are able to determine that the cable is bad, it's possible that the input on the DVR has gone bad, but I would restart it just to play it safe before making that determination.

9. Stylin

Stylin Stylish Jane Sixpack

Dec 31, 2004
    NYC
    Hi Jerry,
    I finally just set up my unit (TD 5400) and encountered the same issues. The "autodetect" in Guided Setup is what presented the largest obstacle. I asked for help and reported fix in this THREAD . hth

10. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Very true. I couldn't figure out why my TiVo was playing in "black and white" until I checked the s-video cable, and sure enough one of the pins was bent.