Problem with repeated manual recording after 9.1 update

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by SAH2, Sep 30, 2007.

1. SAH2

SAH2 New Member

Apr 1, 2007
    I seem to have a problem with repeated manual recordings after getting the 9.1 update. I can set them up under manual recording, and they appear in the Season Pass List, but if I try to select one in order to change any of the options, the Tivo freezes. I am left with the blue background from the Season Pass Manager screen and no text. The remote is unresponsive. I have to unplug the unit to restart. The recordings do show up in the To Do list.

Can someone else with an S3 that got 9.1 see if you have the same problem? Since I need to use manual recording for 4 QAM channels that I cannot get OTA, I now have to enter each show as a single recording every week. This is a very time comsuming exercise.

Thanks

2. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I have reported this to TiVo but it would helpful if you did also, makes me feel better that others have found this problem. It only happens with Manual recordings set up AFTER 9.1 was installed.

3. SAH2

SAH2 New Member

Apr 1, 2007
    I did report the above problem with manual Season Passes to Tivo. They said they would escalate but I there was no promise of getting it fixed soon.

I have found another problem with Manual recordings. Since I cannot use Season Passes to record any QAM channels, I have been forced to enter each show manually, each day. In order to try and find away to shorten this process, I went into one recording set for Weds and tried to select the option for repeated recordings. My choices were, every day M-F, every day, every Tuesday . I tried this for a Friday show, and got the same choice of every Tuesday Apparently when you try to choose repeated recordings of a QAM channel, it only knows the current day of the week and does not read the day of the week from the recoding.

Finally I did report that all of my QAM channels now have "????" after the channel number - where the station call names are for the other chanels. This was blank before 9.1

I wonder if the new manual recording screens in 9.1 are causing all of these problems?

4. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Other users have reported the same thing on this forum. Apparently the Tivo will lockup if you attempt to edit a [manual] recording for a clear QAM channel on the Season Pass list.

This issue appears specific to clear QAM setups. In other words, if you have CableCards, this issue should not affect you.

5. old64mb

old64mb New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Confirmed on my end that accessing repeating manual recordings on QAM via the season pass menu crashes both my S3s with 9.1, requiring hard reboot.

Semi workaround for now - you can access the individual recording options via the to do list, and then change/cancel recording options that way.

Also - I noticed that if you go to recording history and check the upcoming recordings of the repeating season pass they're there but flagged as will not record due to program guide information. I think for one pass I had 2 do not records per each episode on the recording history as well as the season pass proper.

Glad I'm supposed to be getting cablecards sometime shortly. QAM recording is just painful.

6. Jeff Taraldson

Jeff Taraldson New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Sunnyvale, Ca
    I got a hang with cable cards while accessing a manual recording via the season pass manager...

I called customer support and they provided a work-around to delete the entry:

Go to the season pass manager and hilight entry you want to delete, and press the clear button on the Tivo remote.

7. yammerpants

yammerpants New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    My tivo is now frozen, although it seems to be recording stuff in the background, so I don't want to turn it off. I guess I'll get to survey the damage soon enough.

What's the best way to complain to tivo in such a way that they will be likely to fix this soon? I don't see how my tivo is very usable if I can't set manual recording season passes anymore.

Does anyone know if already existing manual recording season passes will continue to work correctly if I don't try to change them?

8. Saxion

Saxion Substantive Member

Sep 17, 2006
    San Diego
    I would say: call them. You'll get a Case Number that they will track through their system. Seems like more attention than you'll get from other methods of contacting them.