Problem with refurb or lifetime service?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by whitenack, Sep 5, 2008.

1. whitenack

whitenack New Member

Aug 26, 2008

Advertisements

I would like your all's advice on two things.

1. Buying Refurbished boxes. Tivo has an HD box for $179. A good deal -- if the quality of the refurb is good. Has anyone had problems with their refurbs?

2. Getting the lifetime service. After 3 years, there is very little price difference between the lifetime service and the 3 year's worth of annual services. Any drawbacks to the lifetime service? I guess if TIVo were to go out of business or a fancy new must-have box came out next year, I'd be stuck with what I have. But, I am not an "early adopter", so I doubt I'll want the next model anytime soon (heck, we still have my VCR from 12+ years ago).

Any thoughts would be great.

2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    From reading other threads, some folks have gone through multiple refurbs to get a working box, which doesn't bode well for Tivo's QC on these.

Lifetime is a better deal than the 3-year sub simply because of resale value if you ever want to upgrade to Tivo's latest and greatest box in the future - the Tivo HD will be worth much more on fleabay or craigslist with lifetime included.

3. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal
    then again people have had good luck with refurbs too.

I've had 2 refurbs an S2 & S3, both are still working as expected. I think the choice depends on if you're willing take the risk of losing the use of your tivo for a week or two if you get a bad unit. Personally, the savings would make it worth it to me but your finances might be less challenging then mine.

Lifetime is the way to go!! I got in on the lifetime transfer from the S2 to the S3 so it does happen-

4. whitenack

whitenack New Member

Aug 26, 2008
    So, you can transfer the lifetime subscription to another user?

5. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...

Advertisements

The only drawback to having Lifetime service is that if your box goes bad, and is no longer under warranty, the Lifetime cannot be transferred to another box.

However, the majority of TiVo's going kaput are due to a failing hard drive, with a failing power supply a distant second, and fortunately both are easily replaceable for anybody with a fair amount of mechanical and electrical aptitude.

Other than that, Lifetime has nothing but advantages, particularly the fact that when you sell your box, the Lifetime subscription goes to the new owner, making the box more valuable at resale time. In fact, if you scour eBay and other sources, you'll find that Lifetime boxes are in good demand, whereas older ones without Lifetime often go unsold.

6. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    People only read about the refurbs that give problems since people post problems with the refurbs to get advice. (Same is true for new units). Rarely does someone post that they received a working refurb. I have a S2 refurb (4yrs) and it is perfectly fine. When I received it I could not tell it was a refurb.

Getting a refurb depends on your desire to save $70 on a refurb vs. a new. Refurb is $180 and a new is about $250 on many websites.

My opinion, Lifetime. You can resell your box since the lifetime has value. My 2 Tivos are 4 and 6 years old, both with Lifetime. The cost of $399 Lifetime can be recouped in about 2 1/2 years with a monthly plan and longer if you go with one of the pre-paid plans.

7. guarh

guarh New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    I got a refurb from tivo.com for $179 and it's working fine. It received the 9.4 update and still working good with one small exception. It dropped my recording once when I tuned to the same channel that was being recorded at the time, I then changed the channel, then went back to the recorded channel which turned gray and the recording stopped.
    I am also thinking about lifetime before the end of the 30-day, but I will first put a 1TB drive in.
    Another incentive for me to use tivo is the fact that I will be paying $4 less for cable now, since I returned the cable stb for which I was charged $6.99 each month(I never looked at my bills actually), whereas the charge for the mcard is only $2.99