Problem with obtaining listings

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Jabamusic, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Jabamusic

Jabamusic New Member

Sep 11, 2009

Advertisements

After many trouble-free years of Tivoing heaven, I have just been told by the children that their Tivo has run out of listing data.

I have tried the manual method, but it repeatedly fails after completing Housekeeping and reports a Failure to Connect. The machine is connected to a phone line (which is working).

What should I try next?

Thks

Jaba

2. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Are you on tiscali or talktalk?

Long thread here about tiscali phone line problems affecting tivo.

The summary is just to change the dial prefix to:

,#056,08081050005

that helps most people.

3. Jabamusic

Jabamusic New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Hi again.

Well this has me stumped..........

I have tried the prefixes (,#056,08081050005 & the 090 one) and neither work. I have also done repeated Test Calls and some work and others don't. When they work they then go on to fail to Connect or log a fault such as Number unanswered or similar?

The calls fail to connect, although they are "Answered", but unlike my other Tivo, the problematic one does not do an "account check", but simply sits there "Connecting" - until it fails and bombs me out?

Any other ideas out there (apart from installing a network card) !

Jaba

ps I am on TalkTalk but as you have gathered my other Tivo is updating perfectly!

pps: Very occasionally, I can get it to Connect, verify account status and Download; however this fails after about 5-10 minutes and then reports a connection failure. I was hoping that if I persevere eventually it will work/download the EPG in chunks and work. Am I being overly optimistic?

4. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West
    Unfortunately, you are being optimistic. There are several threads from TalkTalk users complaining that they are unable to complete a long download. If yours have been failing for the past month then that sounds like exactly the position you are in.

Solutions? Get a network card or find someone with a BT line to complete the download (you don't have to wait for the indexing to complete, just the download).

There are many advantages to networking Tivo, not least being Tivoweb. There is also a very useful 'Daily Mail' application that emails me information about Tivo every morning, so I can quickly pick up on failed calls and the like.

5. Jabamusic

Jabamusic New Member

Sep 11, 2009

Advertisements

Thanks for the response..............

Please bear with me as I attempt to understand what is going on..........

Is what is being suggested that the problem lies with the size of the d/l ie how long it takes and that it is timing out? If that is the case than all i have to do is ensure I do not miss too may daily calls for EPG updates.

I am reluctant to spend any more on the Tivos (although I do not know how much it would set me back to network them) and wiring to them might be tricky as well.

If I can get the box updated over a BT line then that might get me out of this problem.
    2 questions:

Is there any way of bypassing the Talktalk exchange and routing calls over/thru the BT exchange? ie using a prefix number that outsources the routing?
    How to I discover what telephone number Tivo is using to dial up?

I suppose finally the last question is about obtaining/installing a network card.
    Anybody have the de facto word on what is best and how to do it?

Thanks for all your imput.

Jaba

6. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West
    As I understand it, yes.

No. TalkTalk use a 'fully unbundled' network, with no way back to the BT wires. There are indirect operators that would let you dial an 0800 number then the one you want but getting Tivo to work that without scripting would be near impossible.

0808 105 0005

http://www.9thtee.com/turbonet.htm is the original. Other cards and suppliers are available...