Problem with my new S2 DT

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by JoeBarbs, May 6, 2006.

1. May 6, 2006 #1 of 19
    JoeBarbs

JoeBarbs New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Boston, MA

Advertisements

I just received my new S2 DT and set it up about an hour ago. I am noticing that channel 4 (CBS) comes in all static on one of the tuners, but comes in clear on the other tuner. I haven't gone through all channels on both tuners, so I am not sure if there are other channels like this.

I have the S2 DT hooked up to basic cable without a cable box. So cable line directly into the back of the S2 DT and then the red, white, yellow cables from the out of the S2 DT to the in on the TV.

Anyone else having this problem? Is there a simple fix for this?

2. May 6, 2006 #2 of 19
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It sounds like a hardware issue. I have the same setup but haven't seen any issues like that.

3. May 7, 2006 #3 of 19
    kappadappa

kappadappa New Member

May 6, 2006
    I had an issue with a similar setup where 1 tuner was glitchy on audio. The sound stuttered on every channel. I tried resetting the box, but same problem. Called support, they said to unplug the box and phone line for 30 seconds, then plug it all back in. That fixed it.

They said if the problem persisted, it may be because the RF signal on the cable line is weakened by splitting, and an RF amplifier could fix it. I don't know if that would help you, but it may be worth a try. I think they run about 15 dollars.

4. May 7, 2006 #4 of 19
    puckettcg

puckettcg New Member

Feb 10, 2006
    I would echo the advice to install an RF amplifier if you're still having the problem. I had to on my cable, and it made a massive difference in picture quality. They cost a bit more than 15 dollars though - they generally run between $30-60.

5. May 7, 2006 #5 of 19
    Lukej

Lukej New Member

Apr 27, 2006

Advertisements

And many of the amplifiers I have seen state "not for use with digital cable" on the box.

6. May 7, 2006 #6 of 19
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The OP is not using a cable box.

7. May 7, 2006 #7 of 19
    JoeBarbs

JoeBarbs New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Here is some more detail and a test I ran this morning.

I live in a house that is converted into apartments. The main cable line for our apartment comes into the house in the living room. I have it hooked up to a 4-way splitter. first line goes into the box that we use for our digital phone, second line goes to the back of the TV in the living room, 3rd line goes to the TiVo in the living room, and the 4th line runs from the living room to the bedroom. This line I would say is about 30 feet long. Also this line goes into a 2 way splitter. One line off this splitter goes into the bedroom TiVo, and the other line goes into the cable modem which is in the next room from the bedroom, but share a common wall. So my TiVo is about 1 foot away from my computer setup, but are in different rooms.

So I moved the S2 DT from the bedroom to the Livingroom to see if this would make a difference. It looks like it might be a little better, but I am not really sure. I then thought maybe it was the splitter causing this. So I then removed from the splitter the main cable line coming from outside and plugged it directly into the S2 DT, and channel 4 still looks funky.

Sometimes it looks like channel 4 looks funky on both tuners, and at other times it looks like it comes in better on one of the tuners.

Maybe I'll try an amplifier from radio shack. But first I think I'll wait for my 2nd S2 DT which should arrive sometime this week. If this unit also has the same issue, then I think it would be safe to say its something with the cable line or maybe the interenet connection is drawing some power from the line.

8. May 7, 2006 #8 of 19
    JoeBarbs

JoeBarbs New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Boston, MA
  9. May 7, 2006 #9 of 19
    cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
  10. puckettcg

puckettcg New Member

Feb 10, 2006
    I'm using an amplifier on a cable box - it works. Although, I don't remember the box saying it wouldn't work on a cable box. I have cable internet, and without the amplifier, my internet single was constantly dropping.

11. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

The actual point being made originally was that many amps still out there aren't meant for digital cable setups. The response was 'the OP doesn't have digital cable, because he's not even using a cable box'.

Analog cable with box wasn't being discussed, nor was digital cable with an appropriate amp meant for digital.

12. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS Active Member

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    The one you linked to is not listed as being bidirectional. You need bidirectionality for the cable modem. I use the one Radio Shack has listed here. There is a 4 port version available here. It works great, and you can dial in the amount of gain you need. I did that by going into the diagnostics page on my cable box, and setting the output the amp until all my channels were in range :)

Many people do not recommend putting a cable modem on the same line as an amp, and I have bypassed the amp for my cable modem too..... BUT, two people on the Radio Shack site have commented that it works great with their cable modem. I would give it a shot, and see how it works. If it doesn't help, return it. If it helps your signals, but degrades the cable modem performance, you can always run the modem on its own line off of the first split coming into the house. You might want to bypass putting the amp on the phone connection too.

Another poster gave a link to an amp that is also very good. It is the kind that many cable companies use, and has very good specs.

13. Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004
    I bought and I'm using that bi-directional Radio Shack ampifier and it's working great. My cable modem is working better also. I gained a little download speed and the signal levels have improved on the cable modem (checked the modem diagnostic page).

I BTW, I have/use a cable box, and have/use both analog and digital channels in addition to a cable modem.

14. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS Active Member

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    That's good news :) Just to be clear, did you buy the amp I linked to? If so, the 1 or 4 port model?

Do you recall what signal(s), and by how much your cable modem's signal improved?

15. puckettcg

puckettcg New Member

Feb 10, 2006
    Actually, I meant to reply to the poster who commented that they might not work with a cable box - but I'm still getting the handle of how to post.

The OP may not have had a cable box, but I often troll these boards looking for solutions to problems I encounter, and figured if someone who was using a cable box had a similar issue, they might be interested in whether or not an amplifier would work with digital cable. That was my point in posting. I have two different amplifiers - they both work on a digital (one HD) box and my cable internet. One was $30, the other $60 with a $20 rebate ($40 net). I'm at work and don't immediately recall the models, but one is a Motorola.

And, in partial response to the question on how much improvement can be gained using an amplifier. On one line, I went from fuzzy to clear on all channels, and from not being able to use PPV/On Demand to being able to use PPV/On Demand.

And why is it that merely posting one's experience to a similar, but perhaps not identical (e.g. box vs. no box) problem gets you blasted on these boards?

16. JoeBarbs

JoeBarbs New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Boston, MA
    DCIFRTHS,
    Given my setup described in post #7 of this thread. Do you think I would be better off with the 4 port model or should I get the 1 port model?

17. Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004
    Yes, it's the same you linked. I bought the 1 port and connected my main cable feed into it and out where it is splits off to my tv's and cable modem.

As to my cable modem. There was an increase of about 4dB in signal strength. My download speed increased by about 10k-15k. Not a super sonic increase but it I noticed the difference.

I bought an amplier because my cable is split into 6 feeds. I have tv's, tivo's, cable modem, ect. I wasn't having any problems before the amplier. I just wanted to increase my picture quality as much a possible. And the amplifer did improve picture quality and my cable modem signal. A nice bonus.

18. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS Active Member

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    Honestly, you could go either way. If you get the four port model you are going to get more signal (and noise) to each device. The nice thing is that you can dial down the boost if necessary.

The only thing that concerns me is the effect that amp will have on the IP phone. If it causes a problem, you can just split the line before the amp, run one to the amp, and the other to the IP phone.

Keep us posted.

19. JoeBarbs

JoeBarbs New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Boston, MA
    FYI, software 9.1 has corrected this problem. Its too bad I had to wait 17 months for a software fix.