Problem with MSNBC signal V53 through spectrum cable service

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Hellataz, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Hellataz

Hellataz New Member

Jul 13, 2020

Advertisements

I have been having pixelation and audio skips/freezes on one channel. 747 MSNBC through spectrum charter cable. It’s been going on for weeks. The spectrum cable man came out today and checked our connections and signal strength. Everything looked great. He suggested that the issue lies with the TiVo tuner. I have a cable card and tuning adapter from spectrum. I’ve repeatedly restarted the tuning adapter and TiVo but nothing fixes it. And occasionally the TiVo error message V53 pops up stating poor signal quality. It’s just with this channel. Does anyone have an troubleshooting tips to fix this?

2. XIBM

XIBM Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Did you look in diagnostics when tuned to the channel to see the signal strength? If you restart the tivo tuned to that channel and then go to diagnostics it should show all tuners on that channel and they should have the same signal level. Compare it to other good channels.

3. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Could still be too weak or too hot at the Tivo. If the Tivo is connected to the coax coming out of the Tuning Adapter, try splitting the coax before the TA, with one leg going to the Tivo and the other to the TA. If it's already split like that, try taking the splitter out and connecting the Tivo to the TA coax output. The former will result in as stronger signal, the latter, a weaker one.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm sure it's a coincidence, but for the last month I've lost MSNBC and CNBC (which are adjacent in my lineup). When this happens CNN has no problems. It's usually not a numbered error, just a black screen with full signal strength. I don't use a TA or have your provider. It comes and goes, and is currently fine. Also, I'm using a basic Roamio.

5. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT

Advertisements

Hellatz- I think I saw a technician fiddling with your wires. Fat, orange hair, name tag said Don on it. He was mumbling something about "morning Joe".

6. TroyZZ

TroyZZ New Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Our Charter technician explained to me that they occasionally adjust the amplifiers (typically based on complaints by other users) in the neighborhood (wire resistance changing due to ambient temperature changes). If the signal is too strong or too weak your tuner will have issues (I think I remember reading that the Bolts are less robust to signal strength changes).

For us, we are the last house on the neighborhood wire and hence we tend to fall at the one end of the neighborhood signal spectrum. If you have a weak signal, then the neighborhood amplifier could be adjusted upward, but that may then cause another user closer to the amplifier to have too strong of a signal (and vice versa).

Our solution, was to have Spectrum install large diameter cable (lower resistance) from the distribution point across the street into our home and reduce the signal loss on that length of cable. That gained us enough signal to stop falling outside the acceptable range.

mdavej's suggestion of adjusting your signal strength by temporarily removing a splitter or adding a splitter is a good idea to troubleshoot if it is a signal strength issue.

I would also consider getting an extra cable card and an extra tuning adapter and swap those in (and go through the pairing process with tech support).

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have started losing it again. No signal for about 5 seconds. But sometimes I only lose the video.