Problem With Linksys USB100M

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Frank784, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Frank784

Frank784 New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Orlando,...
    I luckily found a usb adapter in the last store in town that I checked. I opened up the package to see that its shaped pretty oddly. I can't believe something that seems so flimsy costs $30. I keep trying and trying, but I can't get the rj45 to be secure and work at the same time. After getting tired of it falling off, I pull the tivo out, and hold the rj45 while tivo tries to connect. It first said that it couldn't find an adapter, but now it says dhcp not found. I'm thinking this is due to it not being in correctly, because I borrowed my friends usb adapter and it worked flawlessly without any settings needed to be changed. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
    Thanks

Frank

Edit: I tried a different Rj45 cable, and with the Tivo in my hand, I can see the lights lit up in the back of the adapter, and I get an error that theres no network adapter.

2. jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    I have a usb100m and found that the RJ-45 plug has to be tilted up a good bit before it will lock into place. The body of the RJ-45 should be exactly parallel with the little "flippy-door" and not the body of the adapter.

I can't help much if the Tivo is not recognizing the adapter once it is connected.

As for the missing DHCP server, are you sure that DHCP is enabled on your router or ICS is enabled on your PC? If you are connecting it directly to another Tivo, DHCP is not an option, you'll have to set the IP address manually.

Jeff

3. Frank784

Frank784 New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Orlando,...
    I live in an apartment complex, and I have no control over that. But like I said, I tried a friends adapter, and it worked with no troubles. I still can't get it to recognize the adapter, even though the lights are blinking.

4. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Personally, I would go back to that store and exchange it for the NetGear FA120. It works extremely well.

I was not happy with the Linksys USB200M that I purchased from the TiVo store. I couldn't get the RJ-45 to stay in place, and I was afraid that if I pushed any harder I would break off that flimsy little flap.

5. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    I use (4) USB200M and agree with the connection problem but once firmly in place I have never had a problem with any one of them... running on 4 different Tivo models.

6. jeff92k7

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    What does living in an apartment have to do with what I said? Am I missing something about your situation?

BTW, Is your adapter the USB100M or USB200M? There is a big difference. Your original post said 100 but a couple of the responses have assumed 200. Which is it?

The USB200M will not work if it is a version 2 model. Only the original USB200M will work with the Tivo. A USB100M should work fine.

Jeff

7. Frank784

Frank784 New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Orlando,...

I stated that I lived in an apartment complex becauase I have no control over the internet...There's an ethernet outlet right in my wall, and I just plug an RJ45 in it. Also, I do have the USB100M. I have a friend who owns a TiVo, after trying and trying, we eventually got the cable to stay in place, and as far as the DHCP, He set the DVR to assign its own IP address, and it worked. This is as of last night. Thanks for the help. Also, I noticed that the little door on it is a little bent, so maybe I will return it to get the netgear..just that I didn't see any there.
    Thanks again.

8. jeff92k7

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    Oh, I see. I would strongly recommend against doing that. I would suggest that you get a router/firewall and plug that into the wall and then plug your computer(s) and tivo into it. That way, no one else in the complex can "hack" your computers or tivo. Plus, a router should provide DHCP services so you wouldn't have to configure anything on the tivo.

If the adapter looks bent, it probably is. You would have better luck taking it back and exchanging it.

Since you said it worked as of last night, it sounds like you got it all figured out. Congratulations. I'm sure you'll find the broadband updates to be much nicer than tying up a phone line and the tivo to go stuff to be pretty cool.

Jeff

9. Frank784

Frank784 New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Orlando,...
    Thanks, appreciate all of the help. I'll still check around for a netgear. It works for now, and yes I did eventually hook up a router that I hadn't been using, and it worked out. The main thing I have to worry about is if I move any of the wires behind my Television, I might move the RJ45 out of place in the adapter, so I'll be on the lookout for a netgear.

10. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Or get the D-Link DUB-E100, or Linksys USB100TX, both them and the aformentioned Netgear adapter have real RJ45 sockets, and a standard USB-B connector, so a standard USB cable (usually included with the adapter) is used.