Problem with HD Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Joan, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Joan

Joan New Member

Oct 29, 2005
    I've just discovered that almost all my recorded programs on my HD Tivo are marked Copy protected since about June 20th. I have two series 2 on the same network that are showing none of their shows this way. Does anyone have any idea about what is causing this? BBC and TCM are the only ones that aren't.

2. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    Simple Answer, you cable company. They have set the copy protection flag and your THD ps picking it up and following the rules that is required when the copy protection flag is in place.

This is happening on the THD because it is accessing the digital cable system directly through cable cards.

The s2's don't have cable cards, there for a cci byte for copy protection has no effect on them.

3. JPA2825

JPA2825 Member

May 15, 2000
    Ft. Thomas,...
    If you want more information, do a Forum or Google search for CCI Byte. If you're a conspiracy theorist, there is lots of ammunition there.

I just sent an E-mail to my CableCo complaining about this a few days ago. Their response was as follows:

"Thank you for your email. Contractually from the providers we are required to have CCI set to Copy Once for all premium and standard services (non-premium). PPV is copy never, and Broadcaster (Local off Air's) are copy freely. I hope this helps if you have anymore questions please feel free to call customer service at 859-431-0300. Thanks."

I guess if standard = non-premium and they are "required" to set this for both premium and standard, they are "required" to set it for all digital channels, huh? Crap.

4. LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA

you should fight that more, because here in New England, Comcast, Cox and Verizon don't copy protect anything. It is all copy freely.

I remember one person way back was fussing about TNT HD being set to copy once, and the cable company said it was a requirement by TNT. That person then contacted TNT and TNT said they have no such requirement.

Sounds like the cable company is just BS'ing you and trying to hinder MVR / Tivo. do they happen to have their own Whole Home Solution by anychance?

5. Joan

Joan New Member

Oct 29, 2005
    I called the cable company ( a locally-owned company and the only available cable company for my specific rural area) and the lady I spoke to said that THEY hadn't done anything recently and that what I was doing was illegal (moving shows to a computer). She said that several times. She seemed to have no knowledge of a tivo. I would never have upgraded to digital tv if I had known that would happen ( I switched several months ago and everything was fine then). So I'm stuck?

6. LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA

Tivo's method is legal, it's legal for tivo to do so provided it's marked copy freely. You can also move it to an ipod, phone or what not too and it's all legal.

It's only illegal for the tivo to do that when it's marked copy once. So essentially, the cable company is making it illegal for tivo to do that by setting the copy once flag. Hence why those features are no longer available on your tivo and it says it is copy protected.

Your cable company is responsible for setting those flags. And it will take several calls and probably months of fighting it to get any result.

You will need to talk to technical supervises, elevate it to their managers. Let them know you intend on filing a complaint with the fcc and follow through with filling your complaint. Also talk to your local franchise authority .

7. takeshi

takeshi Member

Jul 22, 2010
    They probably haven't changed anything recently. Quite a few cable cos just set everything this way out of laziness.

It can be illegal. Without knowing specific properties (shows) you're trying to transfer she can't accurately state whether what you're doing is legal or not. Odds are you're out of luck unless you can escalate this to someone who can do something about it (and cares).

8. Mark McM

Mark McM New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    This almost true - Comcast in New England doesn't apply the copy protect bit for broadcast stations and basic cable channels, but they do copy protect premium channels. So, you are free to copy shows on the Discovery Channel or the National Geographic Channel, but you can't copy shows on HBO or Showtime.

9. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Your Series 2 TiVos have analog tuners.

There's no way to set an anti-copy bit on an analog signal.

Your S3 HD has digital tuners.
    Your cable company can screw you over "real good" if it's a digital signal.

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Not an "anti-copy bit", but analog signals can definitely have Macrovision on them.

11. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    It is legal to do so no matter what. CableLabs certification specifications require that the device honor the CCI byte restrictions, but CableLabs requirements have absolutely no force of law. They are merely something that organization requires before it will issue a certification.

No one can sue you or throw you in jail for manufacturing a device that ignores the CableLabs requirements. CableLabs will not issue a certification for such a device, and your local CATV company can refuse to allow anyone to attach such a device to their network, but none of that makes it illegal.

Completely untrue. TiVo would not get a certification if it did, but it would not be even remotely illegal.

No, they are not. They are just preventing it. They are not making it illegal. Despite their attitude to the contrary, the CATV industry cannot make law.

None of that is likely to garner any result. While the CCI byte setting has no force of law, the law (FCC regulations, to be exact) does very specifically state the CATV company has every right to set the CCI byte to 0x01 for any non-local broadcast channels if they see fit.

12. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    This is a lie, and since it was an official notification, it might actually be actionable. I would call my lawyer, if I were you, and ask him. Demand they provide the contract clauses which force them to set the byte. There may be certain providers who require the setting of the CCI byte, but in general none such exist. Some (HDNET and HDNET Movies, for example) actually demand that it not be set.

That is accurate, or rather they do have the right to set PPV and VOD content to copy never, and by law all OTA must be copy freely.

They are not required to set anything, at least not by law. They are allowed to set premium and standard channels, except for OTA, to 0X01, or "copy never". Specific contracts with specific providers can require it, but few, if any, do.