Problem with DirecTv with used DirecTivo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by toddeades, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Jan 6, 2006 #1 of 17
    toddeades

toddeades New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    I purchased a DirecTivo from a friend today. When I called to get a new access card they asked for the serial number and various other items off the box They told me I could not use the receive because the previous owner had a balance on their account which is in collections.

So what can I do? I don't see how preventing me from using this receiver is going to help them collect their bill.

Very frustrating. :confused:

Thanks
    Todd

2. Jan 6, 2006 #2 of 17
    Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    Tell your friend to either pay his bill or return your money. Don't blame DTV.

3. Jan 6, 2006 #3 of 17
    nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    I actually think this is not his problem. What if he bought the device on E-bay.

DirecTV should not be so readily handing out personal information about someone else, especially finacial information. DirecTV have a problem with his friend and should address it with the friend. Providing the address and identity of the new owner are not the same as the old owner then DirecTV is out of order here - and as for divulging this information I suspect outside the law.

4. Jan 6, 2006 #4 of 17
    Billy66

Dec 15, 2003
    If he buys from an unauthorized dealer then he takes the risk.

Don't you think that his friend is a schmuck for not paying his bill? I sure do and when you buy from a friend, that friend needs to step up and make it right by paying the bill or accepting the receiver back.

I mean if I were in charge of DTV, I would surely authorize the receiver and deal with the collections separately, but I'm not and as a person, I'm more offended by the actions of this so called friend.

5. Jan 6, 2006 #5 of 17
    nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...

Totally - major schmuck. That said I still think DirecTV are completely wrong here.

6. Jan 6, 2006 #6 of 17
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    The proper thing for D* to do would have been to say "I'm sorry sir, but there are issues with that receiver based on the previous owner." And left it at that. They shouldn't have told you that he's in collections etc.

On the other hand, depending on how close you live to him, and other things, it may have appeared that you were attempting to pull a fast one on them with the account.

7. Jan 6, 2006 #7 of 17
    kdonnel

kdonnel DVC-BCV

Nov 28, 2000
    Metro...
    I don't understand?

You can't add to their revenue stream because someone did not pay their bill?

So if I move and don't pay my electric bill the new people who move into my house and use the electrical wires present in my home can't get electricity until I pay my bill?

Why can't they send you a new access card?

8. Jan 6, 2006 #8 of 17
    Billy66

Dec 15, 2003
    If that's the policy of your electric company. :)

I don't think it's a good policy and I don't even think that it's a real one. I'm not disputing his experience, but the level 1 phone monkey just might be full of crap. I'd escalate that and I bet I would get it activated.

....I'd also tell my friend he's a deadbeat.

9. Jan 6, 2006 #9 of 17
    tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    You are right; DirecTV should have never told him that his friend didn't pay his bill. There possibility is no reason that DirecTV will get into any real trouble over divulging the information, but it certainly is VERY WRONG that they did it.

10. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    You are right, the ELECTRIC, CABLE, or WATER company will not refuse you service, if the prior tenant or owner did not pay their bill. In addition, none of those companies would tell you that the prior tenant or owner did not pay their bill. I know, I have worked as an independent IT consultant for the last twenty-two years in the utility industry and I can guarantee you that none of them would say a word about a previous customer.

I guess it just shows how far down DirecTV has dropped as a service organization in the last decade.

11. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    I bet if he called again and talked with a different CSR he would get a different answer :)

12. toddeades

toddeades New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    I've called three times and I get the same thing everytime.

I guess I have to talk to the "Access Card" department because I need to get a new one for $20. (which is something else to talk about).

I've asked if there is anyone else I could talk to about it and they said no...but I didn't ever ask to talk to a supervisor. Maybe I should.

As for the friend, he bought it at a garage sale a couple of months ago and just never tried to add to his account. He did turn it on and make sure it would power up.

He will give me my money back, but I would rather I just get it working with my account.

13. schell

schell New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    you can get a brand new reciever free after rebate

14. JJA

JJA Senior Citizen

Feb 27, 2000
    Sarasota, FL

15. willardcpa

willardcpa QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Feb 23, 2001
    Eugene, OR USA
    But they can do a variation of the tenant did not pay bill routine. I have a rental just outside Florence, Oregon and the water district serving it -Heceta Water District (details only provided in case somebody wants to verify), has a policy that the owner of the property is responsible for the water bill. In my case a tenant ran up a $150 balance and then split. The water district proceeded to mail me the bill, along with an explanation of their policy. It was the first I had heard of it. :eek: I had never had any contact with the water district prior to that.

16. beanpoppa

beanpoppa New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    New Jersey
    Your friend, who obtained a DTivo which is subsidized by DirecTV, owes money to DirecTV. He then sold you the DTivo, making a profit off a unit subsidized by a company which he owes money to. So, in a way, it's 'stolen' goods. (no, maybe not legally...)

17. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    True. But, if you bought a house for which taxes were back due, you would be responsible for the taxes. That is because utilities are billed to the individual, but taxes are billed to the property. The account for Directv, as you know, is billed to the smart card.

Thus, buying the used receiver is like buying a house.

If you bought a house with outstanding taxes, your only recourses would be to sue the Title Search Company (or your attorney, if he/she was so incompetent that they allowed you to not get a title search).

Otherwise, its on you. Caveat emptor!