Problem with component outputs and interference?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mlear, Jul 26, 2007.

1. mlear

mlear New Member

Dec 14, 2002
    I've had my S3 since late december and I hadn't noticed any problems until two weeks ago.

My current setup:
    Onkyo 901 AV Receiver
    S3 hooked up to said Onkyo via component cables
    Panasonic 50" Commercial Plasma 9uk with component and HDMI blades
    Oppo 971 DVD player with component and DVI outputs

20amp dedicated circuit to the TV and all components.

Within the last 2 weeks, I noticed a purple hued horizontal line that would scroll vertically up the screen. It's reminiscent of a phase / refresh out of sync, similar to what you would see if you took a video camera and tried to record a CRT computer monitor. It's noticibly worse (but there regardless) when I turn on the ceiling recessed lighting which is on a different circuit.

I thought it could have been the onkyo receiver, since the DVD player also exhibited these characteristics.

I did some tests to try and isolate the problem, completely removing the onkyo receiver from the loop, and I still had the same problem when the Tivo was connected directly to the TV via component. When I connect the Tivo directly to the TV via HDMI, the problem disappears. I tried doing this with both outputs connected simultaneously, and with only one connected at a time. I tried different component cables from different manufacturers, and nothing made a difference.

I'm convinced that somehow the analog component outputs on my tivo aren't properly shielded. The confusing part is that when the Tivo was connected to the AV receiver, the interference bled into all input sources connected via component, such as the DVD player.

Does this seem odd? Has anyone else experienced the component outputs of an s3 TIVO being susceptible to interference?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

If you need more info, or I wasn't clear, please let me know and I'll provide more info. I'd really like to figure out what is going on here!

Thanks!

-Matt

2. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    that sounds to me like your componant connection went bad on your tv. but it is possible your getting some kind of interfrence. You tried more than one set up cables?

3. cgould

cgould Member

Dec 28, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Ground loop? do you get an audio 60hz buzz also?
    Try plugging ALL your components into the same power strip (tv, tivo, Rcvr etc), see if it goes away. No plugs to other components not in same strip/outlet.
    also try unplugging various other components if it makes a difference, to identify the offending item/circuit.

also just try wiggling the cables, my red cable occasionally goes funky and I lose R colors, just wiggle and it's fine...

4. retired_guy

retired_guy New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Saratoga,...
    I had a problem with the Series 3 interfering with the S-video output on my Pioneer 57H. But when I changed the 57H output to component, the problem went away (and the video got better--should have done that a long time ago). It was definitely the Series 3 doing the damage--I could stop the interference by pulling the power plug.

5. mlear

mlear New Member

Dec 14, 2002
    Everything is plugged into the same powerstrip. I ran a dedicated 20amp circuit that has nothing else on it except my electronic equipment.

I did try different component cables - all with the same results. I even borrowed my officemate's onkyo receiver and monster component cables just to see if it was the receiver or cables - no difference.

I tried plugging the Tivo directly into the TV using many different cables - same result when connected via component

I also tried plugging the DVD player directly to the TV (to eliminate the Component blade of the TV as the problem) and I did not see the vertical hold scan problem. Everything looked fine.

No audio buzz at all - Both the Tivo and the DVD player are using Optical outs to the onkyo - and they sound great.

At this point, I am pretty sure it's the Tivo's component output that is behaving badly. I'm not sure what recourse I have other than to use the HDMI output from the Tivo. (Although I did buy it at Costco - I'm guessing I could return it for being legitimately faulty and get another one - really don't want to resort to that due to the required Cable Card setup, getting Tivo to transfer the lifetime service, and feeling somewhat sleazy for doing that to Costco)

Any other ideas or thoughts? Anything else I should try?

Hrmm, just had a thought - could it be the coax connection from the cable line that is causing this? If that is somehow not grounded or out of phase with the Tivo / AC current... not sure what I can do to test that?

Oh, and thanks for the replies/responses thus far. I appreciate them.

6. snathanb

snathanb New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Yes... try that. Disconnect the coax. Set the tivo's letterbox color to gray. Then tune to a channel. Since there will be no signal, you will get a gray screen that will make it very easy to see if the interference pattern is there.

It is common for cable systems to cause this exact type of interference. All your electronics in the house share a common ground point. However, your incoming cable is grounded to a completely different source. This difference can cause the interference problem.

If disconnecting the coax fixes the problem, first try another coax, in case the shielding is damaged in the original one.

If replacing the coax doesn't fix it (but removing the coax does), look into getting a ground isolator, which breaks the ground back to the cable head end, which could be causing the interference.