Problem with 10 second black outs

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by longdaygirl, Jan 29, 2012.

1. longdaygirl

longdaygirl New Member

Dec 30, 2008
    For the past six months or so we've had a problem on our HD TIVO where the picture and sound will suddenly black out for about 10 seconds and then come back on again. This happens on live TV and recordings. When you rewind, the picture and sound come back again, but only if you play it back from somewhere in the middle of the blacked out region. If you rewind it too far and let it play back again, it will (usually) black out at the same spot for the same length of time... 90% of the time, but not always!

The black outs happen all the time, but with no particular consistency. Sometimes it won't black out for hours and sometimes it will black out 4 times in a half hour show.

We started out with the TIVO and TV connected via HDMI and were getting the bizarre "HDMI not allowed" message with similar black outs, so we switched to component and the message has gone away but the black outs stayed. This is driving our family crazy. Please help!

2. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    This happens to me as well on my Series 3. As far as I can tell it happens when I FF through the "black" screen channels put between commercials. At least that seems to be the only time it happens. I have never had it happen when FF through a show itself. Then again, I don't do that as often. Seems mostly to happen at 3xFF as well. Unfortunately I think it is a bug in the software and I don't know a way around the problem.

3. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    have either of you run a Kickstart 54? Could it be a hard drive problem?

4. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    Have you both tried setting the TiVo to output at a fixed 720p or 1080i?

5. longdaygirl

longdaygirl New Member

Dec 30, 2008
    I don't know what a Kickstart is or how to fix it to 720 or 1080.

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    go here for kickstart instructions.

Settings->Video->Video Output Format.

7. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Have never tried that, but the black screen never bothered me much either. Goes away when the show comes back on. I'll give this a try sometime.