Problem Using Tivo Roamio with Soundbar HDMI ARC

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jughead47, Dec 30, 2020.

1. jughead47

jughead47 New Member

Dec 30, 2020

Advertisements

I just hooked up a Polk Magnifi Mini via HDMI arc on a new 2020 TCL TV. Using ARC should then enable all audio from all other connected devices to use the soundbar. The sound bar works great via the TV and the built in Roku apps. Sync is great. No problems at all.

However, when I try my Tivo Roamio, the audio plays fine but the video almost has a lagging / ghost like trailing effect (I'm trying to come up with the right words, it's like the mouse cursor trail effect you can change in Windows settings).

I have the Tivo hooked up via HDMI to the TV.

Any suggestions?

2. brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014
    You might try a different HDMI port on the TV and/or a different HDMI cable. Cables can and do go bad or can be defective. Use a good quality cable like this one: amzn.to/2KNf8Cl

3. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Could you please provide a better link or description of the HDMI cable to which you refer?

4. chiguy50

chiguy50 U.S. Army (ret.)

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    The main criterion that you want to observe in any HDMI cable you purchase is that it is rated Premium Certified. Look for the holographic label as shown below:

Holographic HDMI Label.png

These cables do not have to be (and should not be) expensive. Personally, I recommend these. You can purchase them from Amazon or directly from the seller at Monoprice.com. As long as you keep the signal length to 15 feet or less, you should not have an issue; anything longer can potentially entail degradation and might require active cabling.

5. brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014

Advertisements

The link was in my post. Here it is with the 'https://' added:
    https://amzn.to/2KNf8Cl

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  7. jughead47

jughead47 New Member

Dec 30, 2020
    So I think I fixed this if anyone else has this problem. I had to change the audio setting on the TCL Roku TV from auto detect to passthrough or PCM stereo. Funny that I had to change an audio setting to fix the video/picture issue, but it worked.

MikeBear and HerronScott like this.
  8. brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Thanks for sharing the solution.