Problem Upgrading Roamio Plus Hard Drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by rhoelzer, Dec 4, 2014.

1. rhoelzer

rhoelzer Member

Jan 3, 2004

Advertisements

I just got a new Roamio Plus and ordered a WD40EZRX 4TB drive for it.

First question, I can just put the 4TB drive in it without any modification right? I had found a short thread where someone had done it but can't find that thread now..

When I put the drive in out of the box I had the file system error that said it needed to reboot and format the drive. That looped and never got anywhere. I then connected the drive to a computer and ran killdisk. After that it went straight to the setup but I only get 283 hrs capacity and 287 hrs free disk space. I've tried a couple different things, formatted NTFS and got the same thing.

I've noticed that after running it through the Tivo, when I connect it to the computer it shows the whole drive as unallocated. Is that normal since I'm looking at it in Windows?

Thanks for any help..

2. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I've never seen a post that mentioned the 4TB was a DIY, 3TB yes but 4TB I understood needed to be sourced from Weaknees. Could I be wrong? Maybe but that's best I recall and yours didn't work so I'd guess that's a confirmation.

Until I read your post the "thread title" had me a little apprehensive. Mine should arrive today and I may do mine. I did order a 3TB

3. tatergator1

tatergator1 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
  4. rhoelzer

rhoelzer Member

Jan 3, 2004
  5. rhoelzer

rhoelzer Member

Jan 3, 2004

Advertisements

The DIY worked great. Easy enough..