Problem - signal lost

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by fred-vo, Apr 15, 2011.

1. fred-vo

fred-vo Fred-vo

Jan 30, 2004
    Ohio

Advertisements

I have two Series 3 HD TiVos. Love 'em. Sometime in the last 24 hrs, they both encountered the same problem, which I discovered about 30 minutes ago. The symptoms included: 1) Watch Live TV showed a totally blank screen. 2) none of the programs that I have season passes for recorded their shows last night - not in the Now Playing list. In fact, there was not even a line entry in the Now Playing list for those programs.

So, as troubleshooting instructions say, I changed channels many times; no change. All channels remain blank, as if the signal was lost on ALL channels. I receive signal via and OTA antenna, a separate such antenna connected to each TiVo. Clearly all six of my OTA channels could not have stopped sending OTA signals. So, I tried the Restart option, under Mssgs&Settings. Would not restart. Weird. Then, I tried DVR Diagnostics option. Screen blanked and up popped the "Please Wait.." clock image. I waited over 5 minutes - nothing appeared.

So, I pulled the power cord out, on each TiVo. Waited 30 secs and plugged back in. Each TiVo went thru its normal boot up and now things are back to normal, except for the season pass shows that I lost last night.

Anyone else have this problem? Could it have been a problem with a TiVo download in the last several hours?

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Are you sure you're getting a high level signal on the various channels you're trying to record?

3. fred-vo

fred-vo Fred-vo

Jan 30, 2004
    Ohio
    Yes, I am sure. I've tested the signal strength many times. I positioned my OTA powered antenna to ensure consistent reception of strong signal. Besides, after I turned off each of my 2 TiVo's, they both came up normally - ie, they displayed all channels clearly.

So, no way the cause was on the end of the 6 different broadcasters.

So, what would cause TWO totally disconnected Series 3 HD units to BOTH cease to "receive a signal" and not record the expected season pass shows, instead leaving a messge in the "View History" screen saying "did not record b/c there was no signal". My conclusion - must have been a software glitch, which resolved when re-booted.

4. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Get a UPS for your Tivos.

5. fred-vo

fred-vo Fred-vo

Jan 30, 2004
    Ohio

Advertisements

Good idea, but....I've been running both my TiVo's through UPS units for years.